(29)Ashy and Outlandish

Hecate sat watching me with her calculating eyes, but this time around, I saw a sense of empathy in them

She was an empathic person; it was clear to see. Perhaps my previous aloofness and cold demeanour had just pushed that side of her towards the shadows, or maybe, I was so focused on this surreal plot that I'd missed her clear sense of protectiveness over me. I was harsh towards her; I realised that now.

The older mage scooted closer and her hand gently cupped mine. I avoided her eyes. They were both too knowing and sympathetic. I didn't know if I deserved as much right now. The guilt and the shame was still so present and now matter how many times I told myself that it was useless, I couldn't shake this horrid feeling.

Hecate's soft voice asked; "Have you told anyone of this?"

I shook my head and lifted my free hand to erase the tears from my eyes, threatening to fall. I did not want to cry in front of her. I did not cry. I hated crying- especially in front of people I barely knew.

She nodded. "Good. Do not tell anyone else. Alright?"

I frowned, but nodded still. She smiled softly and tried to clarify. "I strongly suggest you keep this information from Conrad and Alexus."

"Why them?" I had initially thought perhaps Hecate had been insinuating that the Old Family might have some severe reservations about my new and very unfamiliar relationship with the emperor, but not Alexus, nor Conrad crossed my mind.

"Conrad is a very good man. I trust him with my life, and yours. Which is why you should avoid telling him of your feelings. He does not see Thanatos as a good influence, nor does he see what we both see. A man broken, but capable of healing. He sees a devil- that is all. He will try to distance you from Thanatos."

"Is he even wrong?" I asked suddenly.

Hecate sighed and shook her head. "I can't tell you, Aurora. I know Thanatos as an inquisitive, witty and adventurous child, who has so much potential. And of course, circumstances have ruined some of those parts of him forever, but there are parts that I believe that can be fixed. I believe that. Others don't."

"I believe it too..." I whispered and felt as she squeezed my hand.

She smiled at me, but then took a pause. She looked uncertain of her next words. "As for Alexus... I know you might not trust my next words, but I must tell you. I have observed some things. You should know, I think."

"What things?" I asked hesitantly. It sounded serious. I leaned in and searched her eyes.

Hecate tucked some of her ashy blonde hair behind her ear. "I believe Alexus may have feelings for you."

I sat up straight. My eyes drifted to the wall behind the goddess and I stared at it, contemplating her words. "Oh." That was all I could say.

"I've seen it a couple of times and I think that's also why she-"