(16)Raven Wine and Familiar Yearning

I welcomed the three of them into my private chambers

I welcomed the three of them into my private chambers. Only a small number of people were allowed up here; Hypnos and Hemera included in the select few.

I took great pleasure in the astonished and awed look that flashed across Aurora's face as she stepped inside from the foyer. A vast dining hall and lounge section greeted her; tall, diamond chandeliers hung from the ceiling, old silver adorned nearly every fine detail and the fireplace was lit up with roaring flames. It was only fitting that the Emperor's chambers were the most luxurious in the palace- even more so than Nyx's.

I spent many nights here, cooped up and too weary of others to leave the safety and privacy I found here. My favourite place to retreat to was the corner of my open balcony, where a wide, deep sofa welcomed me every night. Aurora was walking blindly toward it, her eyes firmly set upon something. I frowned as I watched her with curious eyes, while Hypnos and Hemera chatted loudly and laughed as they each poured themselves a drink.

After a few steps, she stopped at the foot of the dark, brown sofa. My mind clicked as I realised what she was staring at. It was the current book I was reading- Macbeth.

Aurora leaned over the couch to pick up the old novel. It was an original, one of the first to be published. She turned it over and studied it with keen, interested eyes. I walked over to her, silent in my steps.

Hypnos and Hemera were too busy chatting about some old childhood memory to notice that half the dinner party had vanished.

"Have you read it?" I asked softly, my voice compellingly delicate. I wanted to show her that I could be calm and considerate, like Hypnos. If that's what she liked, I suppose I could try. Even if it might be a white lie.

Aurora jumped slightly at the sound of my voice so close to her. She swallowed. "Yes. A few times, actually. But..." An angelic smile spread across her beautiful face. "I'm guessing not as much as you."

A chuckle escaped before I could stop it. She was witty. It was attractive. "I wager you might be right... " Our eyes met with a fiery shudder.

She blurted out; "Do you think Macbeth regrets killing the king?"

I suspected that she wasn't really talking about the book and its ill-minded lead. Her stare spoke volumes. I broke eye-contact and gestured for a servant stationed at the door to the balcony to come over. He bowed deeply. "Bring my brother and sister each a shot of my new sherry."

I made sure the servant understood what I meant. He nodded and glanced at Aurora. "No." I shook my head; "The lady will have a whiskey. Right?" I glanced at her to confirm.

Aurora nodded with a slightly confused stare. "Yes, please." The servant bowed and backed off to complete his task. I turned back to face the curious, mortal woman.

"I believe that Macbeth is more bothered with his own ambition than the murder of his king." I answered truthfully.

Aurora's head nodded slowly as she examined me. It felt strange being under her scrutiny like this. So bare and naked in front of her, in a way I did not anticipate. "So then do you think he was a victim or just a monster?"