(36)Unforgiving Nightfall (Part 1)

The festival was far greater and much more fun than I'd anticipated, which naturally, was a giant relief

The gardens were filled to the brim with all kinds of people- gods, mythical creatures, nymphs, dryads, mages... The diversity of the festival had no end. Everything seemed to come alive at midnight; that was when the party really picked up.

Thanatos had pulled me aside and had offered me a taste of Nectar. I'd scrunched up my nose, remembering the last time I'd accidentally had a sip of the potent concoction. "It's alright- this Nectar won't do anything to you. Just try it."

I eyed it with a sceptical look, but took the glass in my hand. "Are you sure?"

"Of course. This is Nectar- Nectar doesn't have any effect on mortals. That poison I bought from that mysterious dwarf was definitely not Nectar. I have no idea what that was..."

"You should throw it out." I chuckled and took a sip of the golden liquid. It was slightly bitter, like grapefruit, but it also had a rather pleasing aftertaste. It was such an odd taste.

"I might want to try it on Dolos sometime..." Thanatos chuckled to himself and gestured to the drink. "And?"

"Not bad. It's pretty mild."

"Your taste buds cannot fathom the full flavour of it, whereas if I were to drink a glass, I'd be plastered." I wondered what he'd be like now if he did end up totally drunk? A part of me wanted to find out. Would he be overly flirty and touchy or would he laugh at every word a I said?

"Here. Have some." I shot Thanatos a sly smile and he laughed loudly, pushing the drink away from his face. He refused it without a second thought. "I still need to take you home."

Fine then; perhaps I'd be able to find out another night?

"I can't believe one drink will get you so intoxicated. I've seen you drink an entire bottle of whiskey in one night. How?"

Thanatos shrugged with a charming smile. "Some things are not for us to question. It's just a weakness we have."

"But not as potent as Ambrosia?" I asked curiously.

Thanatos smirked and leaned down to whisper in my ear. "Did you enjoy that potion? Be honest."

My cheeks flushed with rushing blood and a soft chuckle escaped my throat. I tried to avoid his eyes when I answered. "You know I did."

"This is..." Thanatos stepped back again, like he had so often during the night. He seemed somewhat uncomfortable again, but by now, I could recognise this kind of concern.

"Weird?" I gestured to my face- well, Persephone's face.

"Extremely." He sighed and leaned against a tall, marble pillar. It was hard to imagine how he owned all of this- the gardens that seemed to stretch into the horizon, the palace that touched the clouds, even the adjacent lands and structures, as if the palace wasn't big enough to house an entire city.