(20)Jet Black Facades

The very next day, after I had failed to show up for our magic lesson, a new portal opened up in the middle of the large campus library

It was like clockwork; I rejected Thanatos and he sent a stranger to persuade me otherwise.

Students ducked and dived to avoid being flung by the blackest of black portals. It was flecked with silver stars and even more beautiful than I remember. My heart shot into overdrive the second I saw it, but just as quickly, my chest deflated when an elderly man stepped out of the hypnotic abyss.

He was not who I'd expected at all.

The man was accompanied by two royal guards, both dressed in heavy, black armour and each carrying a long, sharp spear. I gulped and stepped forward, knowing full-well why they were here. This is my punishment, isn't it?

The ten or so students around us darted from the room as quickly as they could when the guards behind the older man barked at them to leave. I was left standing alone, frightened by what Thanatos had planned for me after I'd so coldly rebuffed him.

After my meet with Hecate and Conrad the previous night, I knew something horrible was going to happen. I just didn't think it would be so soon...

Hecate had sprung a question before I could confess my sins. "You told him about all of this, didn't you?"

Her question was barely cold when Conrad scoffed and looked at me from the side. "Hecate, don't be rash. Aurora would never..." His voice trailed at the end when my eyes darted down and I closed them in shame. Conrad paused. "Oh..." It was all he said. His shoulders dropped with stun.

The woods where we'd met were deadly quiet as it waited for my admission. "Yes."

Much to my confusion, Hecate wasn't surprised at all. I couldn't fathom why; not until she reached behind her back and shook a small box in the air. Her cat-like eyes were accusing. "He sent me this."

He. Thanatos.

I swallowed softly and frowned, not knowing where this was truly headed. Hecate didn't wait for a question as to what was in the box or why it had been sent to her- she merely opened it and retrieved a gift from inside.

It was a petite, stone sundial, with silver accents and patterns etched around the base. She held it up for me to see. Coldly, she asked; "Would you like to hear the note that was attached?"

I didn't move or show any sign of emotion. she was already reaching underneath the box to open the note. Her annoyance with me tasted bitter.

Hecate began to read and my mind was filled with his voice, imagining what it would sound like coming from his sinful mouth. "Your thoughtfulness is, as always, appreciated. For you- a sundial to watch the hours, while I waste mine with your wicked treat."

Wicked treat.

I was the wicked one- the treat. The meaningless distraction. The bad apple. The thorn in his side. Temporary and corrupt.