(43)Bitter Blackcurrant (Part 1)

"What the hell took you so long?" I hissed at the darkly dressed god approaching me from the side of the building

It was near midnight; the moon was in hiding and the stars flickered with angst in the night sky. I felt their light matched my own. Their movement so unsure.

"I had to wait until the reapers were asleep." Ares removed the hood from his head and darted his eyes to scan the area. I'd sent a note for us to meet behind the fortress to the side of the barracks, where I knew my brother had very little interest in, seeing as it was mostly Nemesis' domain to manage now.

"Have you heard?" I asked impatiently.

Ares scoffed and rubbed the back of his head as he leaned against the stone wall. "That the Emperor is to marry a mortal? Yes, you and he weren't exactly discreet when it was discussed."

"Don't remind me." I rolled my eyes. "Mother is absolutely furious. She hates the way this was handled, but how was I supposed to know he would react so brashly? It's not like him to be so reckless."

Ares scoffed and shook his head; "He's fallen for a human- clearly being reckless is becoming a trend for him. Has he finally lost it?"

"I don't know." I closed my eyes and shook my head. "He's dooming us all. He's being... so incredibly out of character. Something is not right. She's the problem."

Ares straightened up. "I see."

He knew where this was going.

I handed him the parcel I had tucked underneath my mauve cloak. It was big and heavy. Ares took it without any hesitation and moved to open it. I placed my hand on his and pinched the back of his skin. "Don't. You do not want to look at what's inside. Trust me."

Ares frowned, but then realised what I was referring to when he noticed the pointed look in my eyes.

"Deal with her." I said plainly and without remorse. Thanatos would regret his decision in a few years. We all would.

"Anything for you, princess." Ares smirked and nodded, tucking the weapon underneath his armour. He tapped his head; "What do I get in return?"

"I'll tell Nemesis what you did and she'll demote Athena underneath you as subordinate."

"And?" Ares shrugged. "I need more than that. This is a big risk. If Thanatos figures out it's me, I will be murdered very slowly. And who's to say your self-righteous sister will thank me for this act?"

"She will. I will convince her that it was the best decision for us all." I reassured him and sighed. "And as for another reward, I can grant you your own palace and servants again. I have the power to."

"Now we're talking..." Ares chuckled and nodded confidently. However, his hesitations were not totally eased. "And your brother?"

I sighed and shook my head; "I'll concern myself with him. Thanatos will not know that it was you, or me, involved. I will make sure of it."