Prologue

© 2020 by Danelle Dreyer. All rights received.

No copy, in any form or manner, of this work is permitted.

Personally contact the author in case of an enquiry.

This is book 7 in a series of fantasy books.

The day had been long and the expedition to the Oracle of Delphi arduous

Aurora carried a young Claudeus in her arms as she ascended the broad marble stairs of immense temple. The goddess of rebirth and magic was exhausted from a long day's trek and the unfortunate added stress of having to deal with nearly everyone in the kingdom's problems, in one way or another.

Theia and Casseus had run up ahead; their small sandals tapping loudly against the hard stone. Her eldest child and only daughter were dashing after their youngest- he'd pulled at her blonde braid and, of course, Theia would not stand for his annoying tom-foolery. So, she gave chase. Casseus was young, but he was quick. Aurora just hoped he'd be cautious on these stairs. It was hard lesson to learn if he slipped or tripped and fell against this solid stone. She definitely couldn't handle a toddler crying at that moment. She herself felt like crying from sheer fatigue.

The night sky was filled with stars and the light from the crescent moon lit some of the way. The rest of their journey was lit up by the tall beacons of fire that were placed beside the marble stairs. Their gold dazzled Aurora's eyes as she peered up at the flight of stairs still waiting for her.

Thanatos was behind her, his voice hushed, but menacing. He was chastising two young reapers who'd dismissed his orders from earlier today and instead, had neglected their duties.

This is Barrios' job- Aurora thought to herself as she rolled her eyes and listened intently to what was said behind her as they climbed the stairs.

"I specifically told you not to collect those souls without my knowledge." Thanatos was livid. It was the calmness in his voice that they should've been worried about.

The god of death was not one for public outbursts; especially after having just been crowned the king of the Underworld. Well, partly king...

The Underworld had been divided into north and south; Hades ruling in the southern empire and Thanatos ruling the northern lands. Of course, this did not take away from their other duties. Thanatos was also the commander of the emperor's armies and the joint spy master, along with his wife. In addition to that, Aurora was the emperor's personal adviser and master of the mage's council.

Their lives were chaotic at times.

"We are so sorry-"

"Spare me your bullshit." Thanatos hissed, careful not to wake his eldest son. Claudeus was snoozing lightly in Aurora's arms; still small enough to be carried by her. But he was growing quite heavy. "Report to Master Barrios this instant and I swear to the gods, if one of those souls was taken at the wrong time, I will personally skin you with a toothpick."