(34)A Dangerous Shadow

I found Eris in her private chambers; an array of clothes scattered across the polished floor

My second youngest daughter was used to the finer things in life; as she should be. Eris deserved all the gold, silver and riches that the empire could offer, as did all of my children. It was their birth right.

My sharp eyes locked onto her back, while she paraded in front of a long mirror in the centre of her lush bedroom. Eris had even more mirrors in her room than I did. Servants bowed deeply and stepped aside quickly to allow for me to pass. I didn't mind stepping on the assortment of luxurious and expenses dresses that lay discarded on the floor. We could always give them away as gifts to the needy gods and goddesses.

For a price...

"Mama..." Eris noticed me in the reflection and her smile broadened. "Perfect timing. What do you think about this one?" Eris turned around for me to eye her dress. It was floor-length and had a long slit in the side, which showed off far too much skin. It was a bloody red and matched the shade of lipstick she was wearing.

I smiled thinly. "A bit revealing for the festival, don't you think?"

"It's a fertility festival." Eris shot me a look, as if her words explained it all.

"Well, whatever you please." I didn't care much. If she wanted to wave away attention that came her way, fine then. She was old enough to make her own decisions.

"I love the colour..." She eyed the dress in the mirror and her smile beamed with glee. It was a familiar red. I knew why she loved it.

"Leave." I gestured with my chin for the servants to head for the door. They bowed again, showing their deepest respect, and left as quickly as their feet could carry them.

"Something the matter?" Eris eyed me with a curious look. She loved bad news...

"Not really. Not yet, but... I strongly believe prevention is better than cure." I sat down on the chaise lounge beside a pile of shoes. I picked up the one and eyed the gold straps. Flimsy and cheap. How disgusting.

"Do tell." Eris sat down on the couch across me, her eyes full of delight. She leaned forward.

"Your sister is lax in her wedding preparations."

"I've noticed." Eris nodded earnestly. "I wanted to inform you earlier."

"There's no need. I see how indifferent she is towards her duties. One would think she has no desire to even become empress..."

"Foolish." Eris muttered and her eyes landed on the floor. She looked severely irritated by the mere thought of Hemera's lack of enthusiasm.

"Careless, is more like it... There are less than five months left. I need to know what's going on." Eris met my eyes and I shot her a very pointed look.