(36)Unforgiving Nightfall (Part 2)

"I am a monster; I didn't lie to you that night

"I am a monster; I didn't lie to you that night. And I think you know it too. You need to ask yourself what it is that you expect from me? Because that's what I'm used to- expectations."

Thanatos left the young woman standing frozen and stiff in the centre of the dark room. He left; escaping to his private chambers, the night and the buzzing party all but forgotten. She was left alone- his last words seemingly having struck her just as sharply as any slap to the face would've.

I stared at her from the corner of the spacious room. They hadn't noticed that I'd entered the room via the adjacent door, which had stood slightly parted. I'd hid behind the tall, wooden closet; peaking out from behind it to watch them. Keeping my eye on Thana had paid off.

Mother was right. Thanatos was in great, great danger...

How dare he share such vile things with a... a mortal. A nobody.

How dare he be so gentle with her. Had this mage cast a hex on our Emperor? Was she a threat to our living? To him? My dear brother... How he's suffered. All alone and confused by her deadly charms.

Yet, there she still stood, so pompous. So damn arrogant.

Aurora.

Finally, a face to match my dreaded nightmares.

I watched as the young girl fell to her knees on the carpet and cried- her sobs made the delight in my heart return and I knew then that whatever had been blossoming between them was now crushed. She looked crushed as she buried her face in her palms.

Aurora cried and I watched with glee as her chest wrecked with the sound. She was trying her best to keep it hidden and out of earshot, but it was a futile attempt.

Then, with some unknown reserve of strength, she stood up and blasted a portal into the room, where my brother had stood but a few moments ago. Aurora stepped into it and fell forward, removing herself from the quiet and dark study.

I watched as the blue dust fell the floor and glittered in the moonlight.

A smile appeared on my mouth and I was surprised at how easy it was for me to see the good in this- even if it was a hell of a shock. Thana... With a mortal? It was nearly too farfetched to fathom.

Unbelievable.

Mother will have a fit.

My foot stepped out from behind the closet, but then the door to the room banged open and I jumped back towards the shrouding shadows. My brother had returned, his breathing short and frantic. He glanced around frantically, his red eyes fraught with worry and regret. Thanatos cursed loudly; "Shit! Aurora..."

My brother tugged at his hair and groaned like a sorrowful wolf; his cry of pain utterly sentimental. So unlike him. So totally unlike him. It merely fuelled the worry I felt deep inside.