(15)Bribes, Black Stares and Bastards

The future queen of the empire stood in front of me with a wide smile

The future queen of the empire stood in front of me with a wide smile. She looked like she knew something she was trying her best not to spill.

"Princess." I curtsied and smiled politely. From what I'd heard, Hemera was a very popular, kind and compassionate princess. Unlike some of her sisters...

I suppose tonight I would be able to judge for myself.

Hemera's grey eyes looked me over; her smile turning up at what she saw. I frowned at her and opened my mouth to ask if everything was alright, but the princess spoke before I had the chance. "So you're Aurora. Well," She placed her hands on her hips and giggled. "I completely understand now."

"Excuse me?" I pulled a face. I didn't think she meant to be rude or impolite? It certainly didn't come across that way. She genuinely looked pleased with me- which, in itself, was odd.

"Oh, my apologies!" The goddess of day walked over to me and grabbed my hand. She held it between hers as she smiled and said; "I only meant it makes so much more sense as to why my brothers are so infatuated with you. You're gorgeous. And so unlike most mortals I've seen!"

I took it as a compliment; I didn't really have much of a choice. It also begged the question as to exactly how many mortals she had seen? "Thank you, my lady."

"Oh, no! Please call me Hemera. I hate it when friends address me like that. It's so bizarre!"

We were friends already? Wow. Hemera certainly moves fast. A trait she shares with the twins...

"Alright, if you insist." I chuckled and allowed her to pull me towards her blindingly bright, baby blue portal. It was pale and sunny. "I'm a little confused though. Could I-" I pulled back a bit and she stopped.

Hemera looked over her shoulder to see if everything was alright. I hesitated with my burning question; "Hemera, could I please ask you something?"

She smiled at me with caring eyes and nodded her head. Her hair was the lightest shade of honey blonde; shoulder-length and wavy.

I glanced at the empty study behind me. It was still sunny here, in Italy, but I'd skipped lunch to make sure that I was hungry enough for dinner. Hypnos had mentioned that he was going to pretend to cook. He'd explained that he had no talent in cooking, but Thanatos would see it as an act of strong desire to grow closer to me, which would in turn, increase the Emperor's anxiety.

I believe over the years, Hypnos had learned quite a few things from his ingeniously crafty twin. Even if he won't admit it...

"I um... I wanted to ask you if we're alright? You and I?"

Hemera seemed confused by the question. "We just met, dear? Why wouldn't-" The realisation came to her and the princess stopped. She pursed her lips and then shook her head with sigh. "Oh. I see. You were scared that I was going to scream at you because my fiancé had taken an interest in you in the past? Is that it?"