(33)Obsidian Flame

"There you are

"There you are..." Hypnos entered the war room with a broad smile. He seemed to be in a rather chirpy disposition. It irked me.

"Evening..."

My brother paused beside the table and placed both hands on my map, blocking the space I needed to examine for my new route concerning the request from council. I sighed and looked up. "Can I help?"

"You're particularly sour tonight. What's the matter?" His eyebrows lifted with hidden concern, masked by a sly smile.

"Nothing." I pulled the map out from under his palms and tried to realign my focus. It didn't work.

"I thought you'd be in a wonderful mood, seeing as you dodged the meeting to stay with her."

"I don't have time for this-"

"Thanatos." Hypnos walked around the large, round table to stand beside me. He leaned back against it and crossed his arms. "What happened?"

"I said nothing." I glared at him and gestured for him to move. "Step away, please. I need to get this done before midnight."

I doubted I would manage anyhow; whether Hypnos stayed put or otherwise. My conversation with Zeus was still so fresh in my mind. The anger and annoyance I felt was only masked by the intense longing I felt for a woman whom I had no right to want. Aurora was probably wondering where I was and why I was taking so long to come.

Was that same worry etched in her mind now? Did she really think I would just leave her after the intimacy we'd shared earlier? Did she think so little of me?

"You're staying with her in the evenings, aren't you?" Hypnos pressed more. "The servants tell me that they don't need to make your bed in the mornings."

"I make my own." I lied and bent over the table to get a better few of the faraway lands.

"Liar. Tell me the truth."

"Are my servants your little spies now?" I shot him a deadly look and bit my teeth. "Kindly leave so I can do my job in peace."

"Attitude..." Hypnos remarked under his breath, but he stayed firmly put. "Something's angered you and now you're taking it out on me, again. So... Let's hear it then. What happened, Thanatos?"

I slammed my hands on the table and snarled; "Nothing! For gods' sake! Nothing happened, Hypnos! My life is a perfect melody!"

"Don't yell at me." He snarled right back. "Did you upset her?"

"Aurora?" I hissed at him, keeping her name silent. I didn't want anyone to hear us, but I feared my outburst had alerted some attention. "No, I didn't. Actually, we're perfect. Too bloody perfect."

My brother paused. He frowned deeply and turned his body towards mine. "What?"

"It's too good. Too good to be true. I don't understand it."