(45)Hell is a Jaded Black (Part 1)

The black vortex ripped a hole in the space between the royal advisor and the golden throne

Hades was flung back by the sheer force and power of the sudden gust of the abyssal black wind; he threw his hands up to shield his eyes from the unexpected momentum.

Shock and horror invaded his senses when the dark blood filled his vision. Thanatos had appeared from within the abyss drenched in a ruby matter. In his arms, he held Aurora. Blood was spilling from her like a fountain, barely being kept at bay by desperate hands. "Hades!"

The advisor to the Emperor was ill with fear as he realised what had happened- Aurora was dying. Her life source was draining out.

Thanatos nearly stumbled forward as he held Aurora in his arms, hugging her to him. "I need your help!" His voice was frantic and completely unrecognizable.

"What happened? What do you ne-"

"Call three more mages! Now!" Thanatos begged, not even waiting for Hades to finish his sentence. His eyes were wild with fright and a deep trepidation clouded the air around them.

Hades immediately turned towards the door and began to run. Thanatos shouted after him; "Get Conrad, Hecate and Alexus! They're the only ones that can still help! Hurry! She's almost-" Thanatos couldn't say the word. He gasped and instead, knelt down on the floor and whispered to Aurora; "Hang on, angel. Almost there. We're almost there."

"Th-"

"Hush!" Thanatos tried to smile between the mist of anger, fear and dread. He managed slightly, but only because he knew she needed it. "Save your energy." Aurora didn't believe a single thing he was saying. It was nearly done. She was nearly done.

When she died, she wasn't going to be able to live on here, with him. She was being sent to Asphodel- the place where final souls rested forever. There, she would be but a ghost of what she had been and not even the Emperor would be able to see her. Just like a mirror-image, destinted to roam the Underworld. A shade...

She was no hero- she would not go to the Elysium Fields. She was no villain- she would not live out her days being tortured in Tartarus. She would be judged as a replica of Hecate- a version that did not survive the trails of the deity-ship, which was coincidentally the only possible way to bring her back from the brink of death.

To ascend - which was Thanatos' reason in calling four more powerful mages- to fulfil the ritual. The dagger the witch had plunged into Aurora had triggered the process before they were ready, and now, half-way through it, Aurora was going to die without the proper rite taking place, which would leave her in a perpetual state of limbo. Thus, the fields of Asphodel were her only destination.

"I love..." Aurora started to say, but Thanatos shook his head and pleaded with her to stop. "No, no, no. It's not necessary." It sounded far too much like a goodbye- a final word before... No. It was no necessary at all.