《53》

Leo

I tugged harshly on the chains again whilst growling in frustration. I figured I would've gotten through this set by now, like I had the other 87 sets. But for some reason, I just couldn't get them to unlock or set them on fire. It was like they blocked my demigodishness. Could that even be done? I gave a final wrench on the chains before letting them fall to the floor. I panted heavily from the exhertion. Hopefully Annabeth would have some answers when she got back.

As if on cue, the cell door opened and Annabeth was dragged in by my ex-best friend. I smirked at the bandages on his hand from where Annabeth had bitten him the last time her touched her. But this time, Annabeth wasn't struggling, instead allowing Jason to drag her listless form across the jagged floor. He then dropped his grasp on her collar and manacled her hands back into the chains that attached her to the wall.

"Leonidas," Jason sneered as he strutted back to the door.

"Jasonardo," I fired back.

He merely scoffed, like I was some peasant crawling at his feet, before he slammed the door on Annabeth and I. I continued to glare at the door until Annabeth let out a small groan.

"Hey, you alright?" I asked, though at this point were either of us alright?

"Relatively. You?"

"Been trying to get out of these chains. No luck."

"You know they'll just catch you again," Annabeth reminded me.

"Ever the pessimist," I sighed.

"Realist," she corrected as she rubbed her sore arm.

I winced at the massive welt that she gently stroked. "What happened this time?" I asked.

"Still wouldn't join him. So the cyclops got their fun," she explained in the most vague way possible - not that I wanted the gory details.

"We have to get out of here," I said, staring down at my own injuries.

"No kidding," she muttered sarcastically. "But what's your grand plan?"

"I was hoping you'd have one," I admitted.

Annabeth scoffed. "I'm sorry if I've been a little preoccupied."

The last few nights flashed through my mind like a sequence - waking up to Annabeth's screams and she tossed and turned in her nightmarish sleep before realising that her waking life was so much worse.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"It's okay. I just...I miss..."

"Percy?" I guessed. She nodded. "He'll be fine. I just hope that-"

"Calypso is okay too," Annabeth finished.

"How'd you figure?" I wondered.

"Because they have to be."

"Right."

We sat in silence for a while other than the raspy sounds of our breathing which sounded anything but okay. At least until a cyclops passed outside our door.