《59》

Will

I was not a fighter - not a good one anyway. But something I'd come to realise over my many years as a field medic, was that fighting was all about rhythm. Using the animalistic, yet predictable attacks of our opponents (monsters) to our advantage in order to stay several moves ahead.

A stampeding hellhound could be easily dodged by a quick roll to the side, giving me time to load my bow and fire at whatever enemy came up in front of me.

A cyclops was towering and intimidating, but once I avoided his first attack, he would be open for an arrow through the heart.

A gryphon could only swoop so fast, and I found that I could load my bow and fire much quicker.

Other monsters had their quirks, but most fought in those same patterns, giving me my rhythm. Roll, shoot, duck, shoot, sidestep, shoot, shoot again.

It was like a repetitive dance. I cringed at the simile.

I noticed that most of the others hadn't quite got into a rhythm like I had. Percy and Hazel seemed to just slash and stab angrily - much too like the cyclops in my opinion.

Lou-Ellen had taken to blinding her enemies in mist before cutting off their heads.

Reyna was valiantly protecting her boyfriend who, to his credit, was holding up fairly well with a sword.

Peter seemed to be avoiding the fight as much as possible (which I agreed with) and just webbed up any monsters that came close to overwhelming somone.

Thalia had fallen into a similar rhythm to mine - though hers was a little more aggressive and stabby with less dodging.

Piper was going toe-to-toe with Jason, putting all her emotions into every slash and swipe of her blade. Much to her obvious annoyance and hurt, Jason seemed to be taking joy out of the fight.

Eventually, Jason decided he was bored of toying with Piper. He aimed his sword at her heart and thrust quickly; Piper couldn't dodge.

Thankfully, Percy was there. He elbowed Jason in the face and his sword missed Piper by a mere inch. Percy continued to attack Jason ruthlessly, as if Jason had never been his friend. Jason seemed a little surprised by this and ended up on the defensive. Percy didn't give him any breathing room.

He continued to push Jason back until a harpy flew at him. Percy stumbled to the side and sliced at the harpy, but the momentary distraction was all Jason needed to kick Percy square in the chest and send him flying back into Piper, who'd been rushing to assist him.

Jason then turned to his next nearest target - Reyna.

Only Reyna was already distracted fending off a heard of two-headed dog people. She didn't stand a chance. I notched and arrow and fired it at Jason, but a cyclops stumbled into the line of fire. I notched another, but it was too late...Jason had struck. Even from my distance, I could tell his sword had stabbed straight through the fourth and fifth ribs and torn through the  heart, before scraping past the spine upon its exit - a near-instantaneous death.

Reyna screamed.

《<>》

Reyna

"Reyna!" I heard Miles yell.

I turned around just in time to see him shove me aside. As I fell into the grass, I glanced up to see that golden sword pierce his chest.