《43》

Reyna

"So, do you have some kind of battle plan?" Nico asked, suddenly appearing beside me.

"Beyond just killing these bastards? No," I admitted. My mind was not in the mood from strategy. "Besides, anything we can come up with is likely to fail against this number of enemies. We should stick to strengthening the defences."

Nico nodded. Then asked after a few moments, "How are you dealing?"

I was caught off guard by the sudden question. Nico knew I was not the kind of person to talk about my feelings. "That's not important right now," I retorted, pulling my arms toward myself protectively.

"It is if you plan on lending your strength Reyna," he insisted. His eyes bore into mine like he was searching for my soul, and maybe he was.

I looked away. "What are you trying to say?"

"You may think you're just lending your strength and bravery, but you're not." He placed a firm hand on my shoulder, like he thought I was about to run away. "You can try and remain emotionless like you are now but that won't help anyone. You need to channel that pain into something you can use. Anger is power."

"You want me to just hulk out?" I questioned.

"No. But I don't think remaining emotionless is gonna get you through this fight. I should know."

I sighed. "I guess you're right for once Di Angelo." I sent him a smirk.

He smirked right back. "Always. Now let's-"

He was cut off by the nerve-shattering sound of glass smashing into pieces. Before either of us could comment there was a scream and a roar followed by the sound of wires snapping and an animal howl of pain.

"They're breaking through!" Someone shouted.

I looked to the barrier and the hideous monsters that clawed and growled at it. Sure enough, I began to notice tiny cracks in the supposedly invisible barrier. They were breaking through.

"ROMANS!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. "GREEKS! DEFEND THIS CAMP AT ALL COSTS!" I swallowed the dry lump in my throat and glanced at Nico before shouting my chosen battle cry. "FOR NEW ROME!"

And on that cue, the barrier shattered and Tartarus' armies charged.

The first wave were met with arrows from the Apollo kids, both Roman and Greek. Some burst into bright green flame on impact, others into several smaller arrows that impaled many more enemies. With the first wave of the infinite horde defeated, the rest of us began our attack.

The fight whirled around me in a surreal blur, to fast to focus or pay attention to my actions. It was base instinct. Stab, duck, slice, block, knee. I was vaguely aware of my loyal dogs, Aurum and Argentum, fighting somewhere in the midst of the battle, their robotic barks fuelling my fight as well as my anger and pain. Every scream of an injured demigod added to my heartbreak and thirst for vengeance. Every monster destroyed was another death avenged, another blow struck against our enemy.

Then I heard a howl break through the raucous of the fight. I barely had time to think, uh oh, when a wolf pounced at me, landing two paws on my chest and lofting its drooling, snarling maw over my face. I stabbed at the wolf but my blade bounced harmlessly off of its grey fur that was matted with blood. I struggled helplessly beneath the beast but it did not let up.

"Reyna, Reyna, Reyna. I knew one day we'd meet again," an all too familiar voice taunted. I couldn't see him, but I could smell the scent of wet dog on him and hear his canines grinding together.

"Lyacon," I growled in distaste.

He cackled maliciously. "I'm going to end you for what you and that death boy did to me. I'll find him and slit his throat, see if he dissolves into shadow. Do you know the pain of writhing in Tartarus, attempting to reform?" He crouched down and placed his mouth close to my ear, so close I could feel his rotten breath against it. "I'll make sure you do," he whispered.

I gulped and braced myself for whatever blow he might deal to me. Then I heard a whistling through the air and a dull thwack. There was a pathetic, dog whimper and another whistle followed by another dull thwack. The weight on my chest was suddenly gone and I sat up in a pool of shadow. I glanced beside me and no Lyacon was present. I frowned, until I noticed the silver arrow resting on the grass.

"I say we arrived just in a nick of time, right Praetor?"

I smiled. "I'd say so, Lieutenant."

The dark-haired huntress stepped into view and offered me a hand up. I took it and was pulled to my feet. "Good to see you're alive," Thalia remarked, then her face turned dark and serious. "And you can tell me what's happened to my brother when this is all over."

I nodded. Satisfied, Thalia loaded her bow and raced off into a pack of monsters. I raised my golden sword and followed behind.

《<>》

Jason?

"Are you sure this is the right move Sire?" I asked as I surveyed the carnage from the distance. "I'm sure I could do a lot more damage on the front lines, or fighting Perseus."

Yes. His thick, dark voice echoed through my head. Your presence is best served in the shadows for now. Your time will come to lead my armies soon enough. But this is not the real fight.

"Of course Sire. I shall do as you command." My master's presence vanished from my mind, allowing me to focus on the task at hand. I gazed longingly at the battle one last time before turning my attention to my target. I smiled as he ran into the heat of the battle. I guessed that I would get closer to this fight then I had previously thought.

《<>》

Ooh. I'm super excited for you guys to see the next chapter!!! Though I hope this one was also super exciting!!!

I do want to hear your thoughts though. This is the first real battle of a few that I have planned and I want to know what you guys think. Obviously there's always room for improvement, but is there anything in particular I should develop? What parts did you like?

And it would also be cool to see what you think about "Jason?". Who do you think his target is?

Finally, thanks to everyone who commented which fight they wanted to see first. Next chapter will be Percy and Hazel. And the chapter after that will include our favourite Marvel characters. Yay!

Alright then. Thank you guys so much, I'll see you next week.

~Gingerbreadhalfblood