《36》

Clint

"I'm sorry Nat," I said quietly, whilst she held her forearm against my neck.

"Why Clint? Just...why?" She demanded, her expression stony.

"Because these are good kids Nat. They haven't bothered anybody before, so why bother them?"

Natasha scowled and defended, "Because they're-"

"He's right," one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents inturrupted. "We should just leave them alone." She got stares from the various members of her team.

"These kids are dangerous. They have shown potential powers. We have to put them on the index," the scary Asian argued.

The woman scowled. "Oh, yeah? Like the inhumans? S.H.I.E.L.D. started a war because of the f*cking index! The inhumans had been living in Afterlife for hundreds of years before S.H.I.E.L.D. showed up! Nothing would've happened if they'd been left alone. Let's not make the same mistake with these kids!" She shouted, rising from the random chair that was there.

One of the agents pulled a gun on her. "Stand down Daisy," she warned.

Daisy rolled her eyes. "I'm not gonna quake. Calm down," she muttered, slumping back into her seat.

Quake? I questioned in my head. Nat narrowed her eyes at Daisy, clearly finding her words suspicious too.

The two male agents looked back and forth between the three as the exchange went on, each with an expression that showed amusement, confusion and slight worry.

A teen I didn't recognise eyed us all wearily. She had an aura of authority and power, obviously a figure of respect. Perhaps this is the Reyna that Annabeth mentioned. "I suggest you listen to those two," she announced calmly. "We don't want to start a war with you mortals."

"Mortals?" Questioned the older of the two male agents. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Like you're not?" Added the blonde agent.

The girl closed her eyes and grimaced, as if she was mentally berating herself for that slip up.

"Nat, can you get off me now?" I inturrupted, hoping to divert the conversation.

She huffed, but reluctantly removed her arm from my neck and knee from my chest, allowing me to stand. I sat up and coughed before Tony, who had shed his armour helped me up.

"So, back to the mortals?" Reminded the scary agent.

Frank, who stood beside the Roman girl, shot me a 'Thanks for trying' look before saying, "Does it matter? Does it really matter who we are? 'Cause when it all comes down to it, we're just kids. Anything you're currently doing is breaking the law, and that includes you trespassing on our property. I suggest you leave before we invoke our right to force you off by any means."

Silence fell over everybody. The demigods stared at Frank in awe with grins and the rest of the mortals just stared with open mouths and confusion.

Before anyone could even say a word, a strong wind blew downwards, causing the demigods to scatter. The mortals just looked up to see a quinjet lowering toward the ground. I recognised it to be the Avenger's quinjet.

Frank and I shared a look as the jet landed.

Uh oh, I thought to myself.

《<>》