《30》

Percy

I cried out in frustration and kicked sand into the sea. I did all I could. I threw rocks, sand, sneakers...but the sea kept coming back. I could shove it away with my powers but...I felt out of touch. With my powers and the sea. The sea was my connection to my dad, i.e. the gods, i.e. the fates. And my powers...well...I thought it would be best to take a little break.

I slumped down to the ground in defeat. My life felt as though it was sand on the beach. With every wave came enemies and monsters, and when it was over, it took something with it. A friend, my sanity, my freedom. The fates sent wave, after wave, after wave. And soon, the beach, my life, would be completely worn away.

"Percy?" A familiar voice called. I tried to smile for her, but I was just to angry.

"Over here Wise Girl," I called back.

I continued to stare into the ocean as she sat down beside me. I waited for a few moments, to see if she would talk to me. Instead, she rested her head against my chest and began to fiddle with my t-shirt. I sighed in relief. I didn't want to talk. I just wanted to relax with my girlfriend. Have a life. Apparently, Annabeth wanted that too.

I lay back in the sand, pulling her with me. Then, I wrapped my arms around her and played with her princess curls. If the fates wouldn't let us take a break, they could at least let us have this moment. Have a night where we didn't have to think, or worry, or be scared. A night where we could just feel safe and warm, together.

《<>》

Annabeth

"Annabeth? Percy? You there?" A familiar voice called. I heard Percy sigh and felt his chest heave as he did. I tapped him on the shoulder and we both sat up. I turned my head to see Piper walking toward us.

"Hey Pipes," I greeted and waved her over. "What's up?"

"Just checking up on you guys." She slumped down on the other side of Percy and leant against his shoulder. "You okay Percy?"

Percy smiled sadly. "I'm alright Piper."

Piper nodded and for a few minutes we sat in silence. "So, do you guys have any ideas on the prophecy?" She asked, breaking the comfortable silence.

"I've tried not to think about it Pipes," sighed Percy. He moved his gaze to the night sky and studied the constellations I taught him. "I don't want to be shunned. I don't want to brought to my knees in front of... him...again. I-I...I guess I'm just glad it isn't anyone else." He sunk his eyes back dow to the sand and hung his head.

It broke my heart to see my Percy feeling this defeated when we hadn't even begun to plan a fight against Tartarus. I didn't know what I could possibly say to help him.  I didn't think false words of hope would help him when the prophecy was so clear. Strangely so. I felt as hopeless as he did. I only cuddled closer into his chest, so he'd know I was there.

Piper sunk her head as well. "I'm scared too Percy. I don't know if I'll...if I'll ever get Jason back," she choked. A lonely tear fell down her face and dropped down onto the sand.

"Don't say that Piper!" I scolded, jumping to my feet. I moved in front of her and crouched down to eye level. Even if I had no words of hope for my boyfriend right then, I knew there was hope for Jason still. Piper looked up at me with teary eyes. "We can still save Jason. We can still help him. We won't rest until we do."

"She's right Piper." Percy wrapped his arm around her and gave her a reassuring squeeze. "We can get him back."

Piper rubbed the tears from her eyes and smiled. "Thanks guys. I really appreciate this."

"We're here for you Piper," I reminded her and trapped her in my embrace.

"Guys!" Came a yell. "We just got an Eagle from Camp Jupiter. It's Reyna."

We all stood and ran after Connor who was leading us to the Big House. Soon, all of the counsellors were sat around the pingpong table, for the second time that evening. Chiron clopped up to the head of the table with a piece of paper in hand. Rachel stood beside him with a Roman eagle perched on her shoulder.

"Reyna has sent word that her camp us about to be invaded by a group of armed mortals and a man made of metal."

There was an uproar of yelling and distressed cries. I heard Sherman shout, "KILL THE MORTALS" and a couple other people shout some quite rude things.

Chiron stopped his hoof and everyone silenced. "We must remain calm."

"We should talk to Peter and Clint," I suggested. "See if they can do anything."

"Who?" Percy inquired.

I rolled my eyes. "The mortals we came here with Seaweed Brain," I reminded him.

"Oh, right."

"We can't trust them," pointed out Lou Ellen, who was swirling mist around her fingers.

"They're our only option. Our weapons don't work on them. They're mortal," I explained.

"Our fists still work on them," growled Sherman.

"Should I point out that most of us don't train in hand to hand combat? Those mortals are probably all highly trained."

"Our powers still work on them," suggested Miranda.

"We don't want to start a war with these mortals," Piper interjected. "They're government. We don't know what kind of political power the have."

"Since when do we care about politics?" Asked Connor. "It's not like it affects us here."

"They might send the army or something to get rid of us. Mortals have a history of attacking things they don't understand," Nico said, scaring the Hades out of an unsuspecting Frank.

"Yeah," agreed Percy. "Maybe we just need to show them that we're not scary."

"Says the scariest person in the room," pointed out Leo.

"What? I'm not scary," Percy protested.

"Dude, you can be plenty terrifying when you want to be," Leo insisted as he fiddled with a red pipe cleaner.

Percy was about to argue when he stopped. He lowered his head and sat back in his chair, apparently done with the conversation.

"What if the Hecate cabin did something with the mist," suggested Miranda. "Then the mortals wouldn't know we were even there."

"That's a pretty good idea," I complimented.

Miranda blushed and accepted the high five from Lou Ellen.

"I agree. I could help," said Hazel.

We spent the next half hour further discussing the plan. Hopefully, we could avoid any bloodshed. But just in case it didn't work, I had a risky backup plan. And I hoped I wouldn't have to use it.

《<>》

Sorry it's late guys. I was kinda stuck on it. But then I was struck with inspiration. Hope you enjoyed it.

~Gingerbreadhalfblood