Chapter 46

~~~~~

I think the last chapter was a little fruity 😬😒😒

~~~~~

It felt weird to be sitting in this car. I relaxed into the seats in the back, Kei placed right next to me.

Akiteru and his mom were upfront, usual conversations between them crowding over the music being played from the radio. Both me and Kei remained silent, yet the space between us was occupied, our shoulders slumped together exhaustingly in the state of a perpetual yawn.

Last night, despite passing out pretty early, were woken by doctors, followed by regular procedures that would have to take place per my release. "Safety Measures," they said.

My head only nodded on my shoulder, lazy eyes locked on Kei, unsaid frustration exemplified through my expression. I dealt with the poking and prodding until the mocking sun peaked over the horizon, reminding me I hadn't gotten but maybe an hour of sleep. I've had my fair share of all-nighters, but this rest was much needed, especially because of the day planned.

I buried the side of my head in Kei's fluffy hair, fingers glazing and locking loosely, only ever disconnecting every time we would hit a bump in the road.

I still kept my eyes open, paying attention to the road ahead, my much-needed nap being interrupted by an annoying buzz in the back of my head.

I wasn't going home to my dad. I wasn't going to see him.

No, this time I was going somewhere that felt distant, yet it felt closer to me in my heart than that house ever did. My chest ached, the constant turns that I knew were only inching us towards their house-made me flutter with anticipation and content. For some reason I expected it to feel awkward, even though I never once felt out of place at the Tsukishima's, my situation adding a tension I didn't want to but most certainly did pick up.

As the wheels glided across the gravel and pavement leading from the garage, I could feel myself twisting in my spot. When Kei's weight shifted off of me, our comfortable position being taken away, I only wanted to sit in this car more than to face what was ahead of me.

The car door creaked next to me, Akiteru's grinning face meeting mine as he opened it for me. I stared at him in a daze for a while before unbuckling my seatbelt, slowly sliding off the leather seat, and placing my feet on the ground.

I groaned a little, placing my hand on the cold metal of the car to balance myself, my legs feeling like they were going to collapse any minute. Akiteru held a hand out for me but I quickly denied him, shaking him off with my free hand, walking past him for the house.

I inhaled deeply as we neared the door, Kei's mom in front of me, looking through her purse for the key that would unlock it. The clattering of objects inside and metal being inserted in the keyhole only made me apprehensive in my spot, feet fiddling around with the small rocks. It seemed as if the seconds of the day were being dragged on, split apart so every moment would feel like hours.

My eyes were met by darkness before a light being flipped on lit up the room, each individual and consecutive step into the house making my body tremble with the inevitability weighing in on me that I was finally here.

They all split their separate ways, a heavy sigh escaping my restless chest as I spun around, eyes wandering across the room I had seen a million times but it all seemed...new? I didn't feel the same sense of dread I usually presented, the fact I was even here at all unnaturally made me smile.

My eyes were drawn away from the living room whenever I saw Kei disappearing into his bedroom, a giddy skip in my step drawing me towards him. I leaned inside with my hands on either side of the doorframe, my head and chest tilted inside. Kei stumbled through the room before eventually collapsing on the bed, burying his face into his pillow, one leg lazily dangling off the side.

He did stay up with me that entire time at the hospital, so I can't say he probably wasn't tired. Plus, I can't imagine how many sleepless nights he must have got worrying about me, my health being his sign to finally relax, all that build-up hitting him like a brick.

I moved over to my sleepy boyfriend, slowly climbing on the bed and opposite of him. Upon feeling the weight shift on the mattress, he turned over, snatching me from my position and wrapping his arms around me.

I laughed and lifted myself on his chest to meet my face with his, staring at his exhausted but bright eyes.

"I'm going to sleep for like...three days. Wake me up if the world is ending," he groaned, throwing his head back and closing his eyes, pretending to pass out right there.

I giggled and laid my head on my chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. I wasn't entirely sure why, but I loved hearing it, the simple reassurance he was alive and breathing made me relax without even thinking.

"Okay, got it."

I shook a little as he chuckled, which only made me laugh again in response. He held me tighter to him, rubbing fingers down my back.

"You don't know how happy I am to have you in my arms again, not in a bathroom or hospital bed, but in my bed and we're happy and..." he sighed, shifting us both over so we were both on our sides, my head tucked under his chin as our legs tangled together.

"Of course I do. It's much better than our usual ones. But, now let's make sure this is our usual, I just wanna be in your arms like this."

I closed my eyes, letting myself slowly drift off.

"Let's sleep forever."

I nodded.

"Okay."

~~~~~

Guy's I may be wrong but I think Tadashi and Kei are...g@ys 😰

~~~~~