Chapter Two - Zac's P.O.V

Zac McMillan - Beta of Bloodmoon Pack. 

It started like any other night. I couldn't sleep knowing that Ashley was under the same roof. I never could. She consumed my every thought; whether I was asleep or awake, I longed desperately to be by her side. For as long as I could remember, I had felt drawn to her, connected somehow. I had been enamoured with her from a significantly young age, constantly following her around like a lost puppy. I couldn't believe my luck when I turned 16, and I found out that she felt the same about me. I had been moping around for quite some time, secretly pining for her. Growing up together, I thought I would never have a chance at her loving me the way I had loved her. Initially, everyone at school thought I was gay since I typically rejected every single female who displayed any interest in me. I didn't care what anyone thought about me; only Ashley's opinion mattered.

The last few weeks had been different, though; something had shifted inside her. I could feel it in my bones. I am unsure if she noticed the change; she didn't let it show or let on if she did. Something had been stirring inside her. I didn't know what but knew we would soon find out, for better or worse. Deep down inside of me, I had a heavy, sinking feeling that her mate was nearby. Their inner wolf calling to hers. The thought started to make me frantic, hence why I was restless and eager to be with Ashley every spare moment possible, trying not to smother her. I didn't know how I would cope once she found her mate—the other half of herself. The mere thought had my heart twisting with fear.

Egotistically, I had willingly believed that her mate must be deceased; I was praying selfishly since every year came and went without her finding them. I thanked the Moon Goddess for allowing me to maintain my self-centred hold on Ashley longer. I knew it was only a matter of time before my good luck was bound to run out. Either she would find her mate, or I would find mine. I had habitually thought that I would reject my mate when I found them. It was almost unheard of, but I couldn't imagine loving anyone more than I did, Ashley. She was magnificent in every single way. And mine.

Ashley was just shy of 6ft tall, with lean muscles, full breasts, irises the gorgeous colour of lilac and the most luxurious wavy, silver hair that hung to her hips. Thinking about her always made me hard with lust. It pissed me off that she didn't see herself as the goddess she was. Ashley stubbornly thought that because her torso and neck were covered in large, jagged scars, she wasn't worthy of being loved or appreciated. If only she knew what half of the male (and female) Bloodmoon pack members thought of her!

More than once, I had to rough up a few unmated males, warning them about pursuing Ashley or even looking at her while they trained under her. Being the pack Beta and their Alpha and Luna's daughter, they needed to show her more respect, especially since she would shortly take over the pack from her parents. One of the reasons I worked so incredibly hard as a Delta was that I would become Beta of the Bloodmoon pack one day. Even if we both found our mates, I thought I would have a legitimate reason to stay by Ashley's side.

Ashley was stunning, but she was by no means a dainty damsel in distress that needed saving, I thought with a snort; on the contrary, she was one of the most skilled and lethal fighters this pack had ever seen. I mean, I was huge and lethal, not to brag, but Ashley had crazy speed and strength. An extraordinary power that came from somewhere deep within her. Ashley's years of training and fierce dedication were unmatched in our pack, and I highly doubted that any other rival pack had such a commanding and deadly female in theirs. I was so proud of her.

Somehow Ashley was still self-conscious, even though she tried to hide it. When I looked at her naked form in awe, her brows would knit together ever so slightly, wondering what I saw in her. Undoubtedly, she must hear my heartbeat accelerate and my breath hitch whenever I look at her. As far as I was concerned, her scars only added to her extraordinary beauty. They were a part of her and only added to her allure and were a testament to how incredibly strong she is, mentally and physically.