Chapter Fourteen - Ashley's P.O.V

Chapter Fourteen – Ashley's P.O.V

Zac wasn't joking when he said he had planned on spending the entire day in my bedroom. I am confident they would have wrapped me in cotton wool between him and my father and put me in a bubble-wrapped room if they could. By mid-afternoon, I snapped, "Zac, I know you are just trying to protect me, but if we don't get out of this house soon, you are going to be the one needing protection", I growled menacingly at him with pent-up frustration.

"Ok, Ok. No need to bite my head off, sweetheart," Zac replied, his calloused hands raised in the air in mock surrender. "What do you want to do," he continued, eyeing me wearily.

"Anything that doesn't involve sitting listlessly in my god damn room", I replied grimly. Zac waggled his eyebrows at me suggestively. "You are insatiable," I mumbled while putting on a pair of skinny jeans and a crop top. Time to get outside and meet some of the River Run Pack I thought. "I am Beta of this pack; I have not done my duty to River Run pack nor the other packs which have arrived today. Our fathers must be run off their feet Zac" I grumbled.

Time to put my big girl panties on and get shit done. Zac huffed and mumbled about stubborn women but naturally followed my lead and got ready to leave the packhouse. He had been in a strange mood all morning. I put it down to what the day was and didn't give it much thought.

I headed towards the packhouse conference room, mind-linking my father on the way. "Hey, Dad," I said happily. "Hey sweetheart, how are you feeling? You really shouldn't have left the hospital so soon" He spoke solemnly, his words laced with overriding concern.

"You can't keep me locked up forever," I huffed back in nervous exasperation. "Besides, today is an exceptional day, is it not?" I enquired. He let out an audible sigh, and I could picture his massive frame dropping in resignation at my words and relentless determination.

"It is," he said in a low-pitched voice. "I am heading up to see you. Are you in the conference room with Alpha Rayne and Alpha Kane still?" I asked timidly, a small bubble of hope blooming in my chest. I genuinely wanted to meet the enigma that was the twins.

"Sorry, sweetheart, they had to leave suddenly about twenty minutes ago. Something about a personal pack problem," he said. "Ok, see you shortly," I replied evasively, desperately hoping that he didn't detect the disappointment in my voice.

Zac and I occupied an hour or so conversing with our fathers in the conference room; it felt good to be at least back to devising strategies instead of being cooped up in a bed. We had grudgingly agreed that I would not go back to complete Beta duties for another seven days, but I wouldn't give up my perimeter runs and had to promise that I would take it easy and keep Zac with me at all times.

I rolled my eyes at the three men in the room and was ready to excuse myself when there came a frantic knock at the door. My father quickly rose from his chair and strode confidently towards the door. When he opened it, a man whom I had never seen before entered hesitantly.

"Alpha Miller, Alpha Rayne and Alpha Kane have just informed me via mind-link that there have been alleged sightings of a rogue wolf a few kilometres from the perimeter. They have gone out with their Betas to check it out along with some of your men," He said while trying to regain his breath.

It was apparent how his chest was heaving that he had run all the way here to inform us. After he had forcibly settled his ragged breathing, he let himself scan the room. It was pretty comical seeing his breath hitch in his parched throat as he took in my form, standing opposite my father. He didn't hide the bewildered surprise in his intelligent eyes nor the casual way he allowed them to roam over my body.

I noted his eyes widening when he took in the sight of the numerous scars running the length of my torso along with the recent wounds. He took in a hissing breath. Beside me, I heard a deep rumble and turned to meet Zac glaring ferociously at the newcomer as if he could brutally murder him that instant.