Chapter Thirty-Six - Zac's P.O.V

The first few days with Mia was bittersweet. On the one hand, it was a overwhelming relief to finally find my mate and start to get to know her but on the other, I pined for Ashley.

Being mated, I naively thought that my feelings would have been somehow watered down by the mate bond, but it just wasn't the case.

I wanted to give my all to Mia, and the first two days, I was trapped in her happy bubble but then once we were mated Mia had started to turn cold towards me. I thought maybe she just needed to adjust to it, to us, but she had scarcely spoken a word to me the last few days and always had a look of disdain on her face.

Her unusual behaviour baffled me, and more than once I had naturally sought my mother out to confided in her. She had reassured me that Mia just needed time to get used to being newly mated and living within a new pack.

I tried my hardest to take on my mother's valuable advice, but I had a niggling feeling that something was up with Mia. I didn't know what but I vowed I would get to the bottom of it. Especailly if I were the cause.

Most days Mia would typically disappear for hours on end and when questioned, she would give vague replies of either being out exploring or making new friends. Giving her the benefit of the doubt I let it slide until she requested a private bedroom of her own, stating that things were moving too fast for her.

I respected her wishes and moved her into a room down the hall from me in the packhouse, wondering if it had been something I had done wrong. I had spent hours wracking my brain for any indiscretion on my part but kept coming up blank, so I let it go and went about my duties as the delta of Blood Moon pack as usual.

The few meetings I had attended this week were challenging to say the least. Hearing about Ashley and the alpha twins plans had my chest tightening convulsively. I genuinely felt like I was going to die and had to excuse myself several times to calm my heart rate and breathing down.

It was something I knew that I would need to get under control as soon as possible as Ashley would be returning in a couple of weeks, and if I was going to be able to live under the same roof as them and still serve her as Beta, I needed to have a level head.

I was under no illusion that I would be able to forget my feelings for her quickly, but I could at least learn to control them in the presence of others, I thought sadly.

Trying to give Ashley space was the most challenging thing I had ever done in my entire life. We had never been apart so long for as long as I could remember. I avoided contacting her apart from one phone call two days after she left.

Neither of us could barely speak apart from the usual pleasantries on weather, etc. more than once, her voice caught in her throat and a sob escaped. Ashley was strong and born to be a ruler though and we both knew our place in society, but it still hurt.

I wasn't sure it would ever stop severely hurting, the pain of losing Ashley. But the more I heard about Alpha Rayne and Alpha Kane, the more convinced I was that they were the right mates for Ashley. By all accounts, they were strong, hard-working and loyal. It didn't make losing Ashley to them any easier, but it was still a small comfort to know that they would at least not harm her and that they may make her happy. That was the important thing—Ashley's ultimate happiness.

Mia seemed extremely interested in learning all about the Blood Moon pack, which seemed reasonable since she was a new member but she also had an interest in Ashley. That part genuinely puzzled me.

Ashley is her Luna, but Mia seemed beyond fascinated with knowing everything about her, including her plans of amalgamating the three packs. It made me wary of her, whichof course caused me pain. Not trusting your mate was almost unheard of, and I didn't want to have trust issues in my relationship with Mia.

Mum said that because Ashley had saved her from Alpha Dante that adequately explained her fascination, I was hesitant to talk about Ashley with Mia because of my involvement with her and out of respect for her being my mate. Still, it was a subject that continually left Mia's lips which perplexed me.

I couldn't work her out or the reason for her need to know as much about Ashley as possible. Her obsessive fascination with her started to make my skin crawl and more than thankful that she had requested her own room.

As much as I desired things to work out with my mate, I would never be comfortable with anyone researching Ashley. Ever.
This mornings pack meeting had me on edge. Ashley and the alpha twins were planning on travelling to the Midnight pack territory to claim leadership and sort out pack business. I desperately wanted to go but was vehemently denied the opportunity by Ashley's father and my own.

"Don't accept this bullshit," Callan hissed inside my head. "If only the betas are allowed to go, YOU are now technically a beta since Ashley will be moving up the ranks as Luna," he continues eagerly, a smug grin taking over his radiant face. Shit, he was right. I will be beta along with my father.

As soon as Ashley and the Alpha twins are back in residence, and a celebration will held to appoint her as Luna and the twins as Alphas of Blood Moon along with River Run and Midnight pack. "Clever wolf," I reply promptly with a fond smile. For once, Callan was a help instead of a hindrance.

This past week he had been as excited as I had been about finding and marking our mate until he started to notice the way Mia typically treated us as if we were nothing to her. And it hurt him more than it did me. Being a wolf, the mate bond was supposed to be stronger with our wolves, but Mia's wolf Shay hadn't wanted to meet Callan which upset him no end.

Instantly pushing my wayward thoughts aside, I addressed Ashley's father, "I am a Blood Moon Beta, and I will be going with my father to escort Ashley into Midnight pack territory," I say with a defiant tilt of my chin, daring him and my father to argue with me.

I knew I was foolish challenging their authority but I was desperate to see Ashley and make sure she was infact ok. After several tense minutes, Alpha Miller agreed on one condition. "Anything" I reply promptly with mild curiosity.

"I know it won't be easy, but you have to put your personal feelings for Ashley aside and just be there as her Beta Zac," he says regarding me shrewdly ready to judge my reaction. "Naturally," I reply instantly. The profound thought of inadvertently causing any sort of pain to Ashley makes bile rise in my throat, along with anger at the idea that they would even conceive such things of me.

"Who do they think they are" Callan spits. "We would never hurt Ashley or Callie", he seethes, pacing impatiently across the cage that is my mind. "Calm down, Callan. They only have Ashley's best interest at heart," I reply soothingly, trying to console him.

The last thing I need is to add to Callan's already foul mood. The meeting ended shortly after so now to find Mia and let her know that I will be leaving tonight for a couple of days. Who knows, maybe it would do our relationship some time apart, I think.

It doesn't take me long to find Mia, which is unusual considering her actions this past week. She is in the kitchen helping Ashley's mother prepare lunch. As soon as I enter, Mia stops what she is doing and turns slowly to face, a look of burning hatred on her face that has me halting in my steps.

"What the fuck," Callan says bitterly, recoiling from our mate. What the fuck indeed. "Hi Zac, how are you today? Luna Miller asks with a radiant smile on her face. "Good, thanks," I reply earnestly, noting that Mia has not responded to the greeting, something Ashley's mother does not miss either as I catch her looking suspiciously at her with a concerned look on her face.

"Mia, I will be leaving tonight to escort our Luna, Alpha Kane and Alpha Rayne to Midnight pack territory," I continue regardless, not bothering to wait for her reply. "I will be gone a couple of days but will call every night and make sure that you are being looked after in my absence," I say.

Mia merely continues to ignore me, which has Callan's hackles up. Without a word, Mia puts the knife she is holding down and storms out of the room. "What is that about so you think," Callan asks. Luna Miller looks at me bewildered. I shake my head and lift my shoulders in sincere apology as I leave the room to chase after Mia. This is not the way I had expected being mated would go, I think with a exasperated sigh.