Chapter Twenty-Nine - Ashley's P.O.V

Dinner with Alpha Smith and his beautiful Luna Liz was a tad awkward; having no idea what Kane or Rayne had told them about me, if anything. I didn't want to be the one to inform them of my rejection of their sons if they had chosen not to inform them already. I was grateful that their mother was being an absolute saint keeping the conversation flowing about mundane things such as the weather. She was a true Luna I thought with a fond smile.

Even if they didn't know the real reason why I was here, Alpha Smith knew who I was. Hiding wasn't an option, being the only female Beta to exist and the fact that I am Alpha Smith's daughter. The whole pack and neighbouring packs would know of my visit by now I thought with a snort. Neither pressed the issue though nor asked about my presence thankfully. What I was doing here was a subject for another day, I thought, making myself appear busy by pushing my food around the plate and nodding when I thought polite.

The twins hadn't bothered joining us for dinner, their loss I thought. Liz had made a sumptuous five-course meal, something I wondered if she prepared for all her guests. Having driven nonstop for hours, I was grateful for the wonderful home cooked meal. Because the twins hadn't given me the address for several hours after the initial phone call, I hadn't bothered to stop to buy anything to eat and was starving. 

I had been too tense and lost in my thoughts, still was. It naturally occurred to me that I could have been driving to the acceptance of my rejection, and I had to admit that idea had panic setting in. Would they return my rejection? Was I too late? Was that why they were not attending dinner? Were they trying to come up with a way to break it to me? Dinner passed in a comfortable blur, I was sure they would have caught me more than once wringing my cloth napkin tightly under the table. If they did, they didn't say anything thankfully.

By the following morning I was a bundle of nerves. Not having slept a wink. A part of me had expected to be treated with weariness but not cold indifference. Kane and Rayne had introduced me to the members of their pack at training that morning when I had shown up to the centre, carefully introducing me as a visiting trainer from Blood Moon.

When they dropped my name, you could have heard a pin drop. Every single eye in the room suddenly snapping to mine. It seems like I was in for an entertaining morning I sigh. It didn't take long to realise I wasn't wrong. I had more than my fair share of males (and females) hitting on me as soon as Kane and Rayne had advised them to disperse onto the mats with their training partners and begin.

In no time, a considerable sized group instantly surrounded me, all eager to learn new moves and watch as I spared with my paired partner, a River Run delta called Mace. Mace was around 6'2, well built and just as handsome as the twins. He had a boyish, cocky charm, and I knew straight away he was someone that I could see myself easily being friends with.

"Want me to go easy on you Princess," he asks, chucking a humorous wink my way. "Why? scared I might hurt you," I reply teasingly, which had the small crowd snickering. For the rest of the session Mace and I spared and shared fighting techniques with eager recruits until it was time for lunch.  The twins had spent the morning intentionally ignoring me, with their mouths anyway. Their eager eyes were a different story. I could constantly feel them on me. I knew they must be hurting, especially their pride, so I allowed them to maintain their distance. For now.

After training, I made my way back to the packhouse and was greeted by Liz. "How was your morning Ashley?" she asked with a kind smile on her face. "It was great to meet new people and help with training," I reply promptly with a matching smile. The twins and their mother were chalk and cheese. While she was an open book, they were more like a riddle, waiting to be cracked. "How was training this morning? I hope you have settled in well," she asks with an arched eyebrow. Not one to beat about the bush, I informed her that her sons had ignored me mostly, much to her evident disapproval. I hated ratting on them but thought they could use a kick up the arse from their Mother.