Chapter Eighteen - Zac's P.O.V

FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. What the FUCK. I couldn't breathe. The world felt like it was closing in around me. What the actual fuck was happening. I instantly felt like I was trapped in some stupid reality T.V. show. The kind that punk'd people. But I knew better than that. I knew what was happening before me was real and not some fucked up T.V. show. I couldn't believe it, in any case. I wouldn't believe it.

What the actual fuck, I thought desperately for the millionth time in a span of a few terrible seconds. One minute I was staring at my partner in absolute awe as she cut rogues down left, right and centre, taking no mercy and then all of a sudden, Ashley had shifted and had brutally rejected her mate. Correction, MATES. Both Alpha Kane AND Alpha Rayne were her mates.

WHAT THE FUCK. What was worse was that a split second before, I sensed absolute rage rolling from Ashley. Not only rage but arousal. WHAT. THE. FUCK. I had never wanted her to reject her mate. Never in a million years. But never in a million years did I expect her to be so turned on by a male in her presence. A male that wasn't me.
I couldn't dwell on the scene unfolding, Ashley needed me.

To my horror, I had noticed too late that Ashley had split open her wounds while fighting the rogues and was now slowly bleeding to death. Once again, I had failed her. I was nothing but a fucking failure. The thought was sobering, and I snapped out of sulking to take stock of the dire situation. Alpha Rayne and Alpha Kane were rooted to the spot. Their breathing ragged, and their eyebrows pinched together as the gears in their head turned, trying to work out what just happened. I was sure that they had never been denied anything in their life. And to be furiously denied the ultimate happiness must fucking hurt I had to admit.

Even though I was not too fond of the pricks, it made me shudder. No one wanted to be vehemently rejected by their mate: especially so publicly and spectacularly. Ashley never did anything by halves, I thought with a laugh. Ever. I had to wonder, though, if the Alpha Twins had earned her rejection. I hoped that she was doing it for a legitimate reason and not just because she loved me, I thought sadly.

Ashley had hardened her heart the last six years, naively believing that she must have angered the Goddess somehow or that she was not worthy of love. I had always known better, though, and now knowing that she wasn't just fated to anyone but two alphas, no less, that she was extraordinary. At the moment, though, seeing her crumpled on the ground just like I had found her a few days ago had my heart breaking and shaking with fury at the same time.

I didn't want to know this very minute what the fuck happened that caused a break in our defences nor how the rogues got through. My anxious thought was only for Ahsley and Ashley alone. Taking my death stare off the alpha twins, I rapidly shifted back into my human form and raced towards Ashley's naked, bleeding form lying in the middle of the carnage.

It was hard to tell where the rogue's blood ended, and hers began. She was covered head to toe in it. I positively hated that she was stark naked and on display to all the other packs. I bitterly hated it even more that Alpha Rayne and Alpha Kane couldn't seem to take their eyes off her. Their hooded, beedy eyes looking her muscled body up and down like they were trying to drink her in and commit every line of her body to memory.

A loud snarl left my body as I leaned over Ashley, going from dumbfounded to jealous in 2.5 seconds. I lifted her crumpled and bloody body in my arms and stood to walk away. Quite a crowd had gathered now that the potential threat had been taken care of. People were coming back out of their buildings and walked back towards us to clean up. I didn't care. I just knew I needed to get Ashley to the pack doctor as soon as possible.

"Stay with me, Ashley," I whispered passionately into her ear. "Don't you dare fucking die on me," I continued earnestly. Mind-linking Alpha Miller, I let him know about the situation and informed him that I would be heading to the hospital with Ashley, not bothering to tell him that his daughter had finally found her fucking mate.