Chapter Thirteen - Zac's P.O.V

Chapter Thirteen – Zacs P.O.V

Thank You for the motivation to continue _georgina_s_ , you don't know what it means to me to have your support to keep going xxx 

I couldn't sleep. Even having Ashley in my arms did nothing to quell the raging storm that rolled in my stomach. I couldn't shake the undeniable feelings of impending doom. More than once, I got up during the night and wandered the empty corridors of the silent hospital. Stopping every so often to say hello to nurses who were carefully attending to patients throughout the long night.

I was waging an inner war with Jax. I was trying to keep control; I didn't want to accept an eventual mate bond willingly. Jax was undecided, he knew the mate bond would bind our soulmate to us for eternity and naturally produce an inconceivable and everlasting bond, but like me, he was not prepared to give Callie or Ashley up either. "We will inevitably have to accept our mate, Zac. We can't deny Ashley and Callie theirs," he said solemnly.

Before I grasped what I was unintentionally doing, I was outside in the brisk air. I didn't know where I was going but knew that I desperately needed to be outside. I needed to breathe. How could I be strong for Ashley if I was so full of raw emotion? I walked stealthily towards the edge of the forest tree line and took one long, sorrowful look back towards the hospital. I would not say I liked leaving Ashley alone but knew I would be back before she woke again.

I quickly stripped off and shifted into my wolf form, allowing Callan to stretch and flex his rigid body. Instead of running deep into the forest, I advised Callan to adhere to the side of the highway leading out of town. I didn't want to run into anyone else, nor any patrols intentionally and knew we would have just enough time to go for a run before the next one was due past.

Dad was back on patrol and naturally had suitable replacements for Ashley and me, but I didn't feel like talking to anyone, not tonight. I willingly allowed Callan to lengthen his determined stride and let him loose, allowing him to take over almost entirely. It was a pleasant change to give in sometimes. It allowed me ample time to think earnestly.

As we reached through the moonlit trees, I instantly saw a convoy of car lights off in the distance. The other neighbouring packs were all arriving this morning to attend the Blood Moon Ball. The months of perpetration had finally paid off, and more pack alliances would be formed from the solitary night.

Callan continued to run frantically through the forest at breakneck speed. There was a small lake up ahead, not far off the road, so I motioned for him to stop to slake his burning thirst. If I let him, he would have undoubtedly continued to run. He seemed to be on autopilot, either that or vainly trying to run away from his grave problems. He had gone silent, which wasn't like him.

Callan padded silently to the glittering water's edge and drank deeply, letting tiny droplets of water drip from his panting tongue. The balmy night was warm, so I shifted back to my human form and waded into the cool water, relishing the pleasant feel on my clammy skin.

I wish Ashley had been here to enjoy the water with me; I thought sadly. She genuinely enjoyed swimming as much as I did. I slowly completed a few laps around the lake, willingly letting the water cool my heated body and chase away the coiled tension in my sore muscles. It was soothing and relaxing, something I desperately needed.

The moon began to lower in the sky, so I decided it was time to head back to the hospital and attempt to get some sleep in before the day officially began. I wouldn't advise Ashley that I had slipped out, she didn't need to worry about my feelings right now or the turmoil I was going through. A chilled breeze made my body break out in goosebumps, so I reluctantly shifted back into my wolf form, letting Callan shake off the excess water and warm me.

He was in a hurry to get back to Ashley's comforting arms, so he wasted no time promptly running towards the homeward road. As we reached it, several luxury cars passed by slowly. As they did, Callan's attentive ears pricked up, and he instantly started to pick up his lively pace. "What's up, Callan," I asked as he found another gear, surging forward with intense speed. "Didn't you smell that?" He asked enquiringly.

I was about to ask him what he was talking about when he inhaled sharply, letting his animal senses carefully pick out the scent to analyse it. "I have never smelt something so enticing before in my life," he howled. I had to begrudgingly agree. It smelt heavenly. Like cinnamon, sweet and beautiful. At that moment, it dawned on me. My potential mate had arrived in our territory. Fuck.

Callan felt the fear run through me like a bolt of lightning and skidded to a stop. "I'm sorry, Zac," he said gravely. "I know what this signifies to you, for Ashley. For us," he continued, rooted to the spot as if he was suddenly  frightened of moving. I promptly let out a shaky sigh. I was fucking terrified of the thought of finding my mate. And now the harsh reality was staring me in the face. "I will let you decide what is best for us," Callan said, trying to comfort me. I didn't bother replying. I had no words. I didn't know that love could hurt so fucking horribly like this. I shifted back to my human form and started the slow walk back to the hospital. I needed the time to think.

When the town lights came into view, a rage had developed inside of me, "Why," I screamed hysterically into the night sky. "Why have you forsaken me, Goddess? I continued, balling my brawny hands into tight fists. I voluntarily allowed the fierce rage to consume me; I started furiously punching every mature tree in my way, watching them splinter like toothpicks in my wake.

Curse the Goddess—curse the werewolf mate bond rules I thought bitterly. I demolished everything in my path until my fists were raw and bleeding. The pain helped. It gave me something to think about instead of the impending destruction the bond will undoubtedly cause. I took a deep breath and trudged the rest of the way back into town slowly, not caring to hide my naked form. In the profound darkness, I couldn't shake the eerie feeling that I was being watched, but I didn't have the time nor patience to find out if I had been. I could only think of Ashley.

I was startled out of my stupor by my fathers' harsh voice calling me via mind-link. "What are you doing outside so early Zac, I thought you were with Ashley at the hospital. I scented you in the forest to the north of town," he stated. "Just going for a run", I blatantly lied. I don't know whether he believed it or not, but he didn't force the issue. "The Moonstone and Nightshade packs have just arrived," Dad said."I merely thought I would let you know", he continued earnestly. "Thanks, Dad," I replied."When Ashley is discharged, we will join you at the packhouse later today for personal introductions," I said before promptly cutting the mind-link.

Fucking great, I thought overwhelmingly.  I will do my best to avoid meeting the other packs until after the Blood Moon Ball. I will desperately try and use Ashley's condition as an excuse, I thought numbly. The last thing I desired was some puppy-eyed mate upsetting Ashley while she was still recovering. I didn't know if I would reject them, but I would at least allow Ashley time to heal before I ruined our relationship. Now to convince Ashley to remain indoors for the day instead of reverting to Beta mode. Easier said than typically done. I snorted ruefully to myself. Ashley was an overwhelming force to be reckoned with, I thought fondly, grudgingly allowing a crooked smile to crawl onto my haggard face.

I wasted no time jogging the short distance back to the hospital. As soon as I entered her private room, I could instantly hear her pleading urgently. My mind naturally started to race, and my ragged breath caught in my raw throat until I realised that she was still sound asleep.
She was talking in her sleep. Whatever she was dreaming, it didn't sound like she was enjoying it, so I reluctantly decided to grasp her gently and wake her up. She was dripping with sweat, and I scolded myself for intentionally leaving her alone for so long. Fucking prick I thought sourly. Ashely deserved better.

Thanks for reading, I hope you like my story thus far xx

I will post chapter updates on Instagram.

Facebook - xxitsmeimbitchesxx - Fan Club.
Instagram - xxitsmeimbitchesxx