Venti x reader

I sat in front of Venti on the ground. His legs were crossed over each other as he listened to me talk about my day with a fond look in his eyes as he always had whenever he was with me.

The boy earlier asked if I wanted to go out to Windrise with him since lately we've both been busy and haven't had a lot of time to spend together. Honestly I missed him, so I obviously agreed to go.

Huffing, I continued talking about what new dumb thing my friend did earlier this week, "Yeah and so then my friend actually—" I watched Venti's gaze shift to over my shoulder. His calm demeanor was replaced with one of panic as he quickly grabbed my hand, pulling us both up before shoving me behind him.

It all happened to fast. I was still dazed as I slowly blinked. Peeking from behind Venti to see the cause of recent events, I saw it was just a traveling hilichurl party. There was about two hilichurls and one samachurl in the group. The small pack now laid seemingly knocked out on the ground as the wind swirled around their collapsed bodies that were in a messy pile.

The boy turned back to me, gently grabbing my shoulders as he scanned my body for any injuries, despite there not having been the time for me to get hurt anyways because how quickly the bard reacted.

"You okay?" He asked while quickly regaining his composure back to a more laid back one.

I nodded, "yeah I'm fine, you stepped in before they could even make a move. Even if not, I would've been able to defend myself," I giggled at the end. The bard rolled his eyes as he released his grip on me before taking a step back.

"Sorry, it was just instinct I guess," he apologized as he lifted a hand up to scratch the back of his neck, "well.. how about we move from this spot? There is other pretty places to see anyways."

Reluctant to leave simply because I was lazy and didn't feel like walking, I eventually let the boy guide me away by my hand. His hand felt soft against my own as he led me away from the area. Occasionally he'd look back at me and give me a small smile as he gently squeezed my hand.

As we walked, I couldn't help but think back to the previous events. Despite his size, he was surprisingly strong as he pushed me behind him. Zoning back into reality, I glanced at the boy. His braids were slightly messed up, probably from his quick motions.

"Venti.. your hair," I mumbled, reaching out to brush my hand against one of his braids.

He looked down at his hair, seeming slightly dumbfounded, "uhh, it's okay I don't mind."

"Can I rebraid it? Please, please? Please?" I begged the boy as he came to a halt, fully turning around to look at me. I gave him a determined grin while I bounced up and down slightly with my hands clasped together. Honestly I was only doing this for an excuse to touch his hair.

He sighed, giving in, "ok fine, you can rebraid it over there," he pointed towards the huge tree near the statue of seven." I nodded, taking his hands in my own as I bounced around him, pulling him in the direction of the tree. Venti giggled at my eagerness to go as he followed.

"Here," I announced, dragging to down to the floor while I sat down. Venti spoke to me as he let me undo his braids.

"And your friend did what? We never got to finish taking about that," the boy asked as I ran my fingers through his hair, it was silky as it always was when he let me plat with it.

"She started talking to her ex again!!"

The boy had heard that sentence all too many times. My one friend has been telling me for the past 6 months she was going to break up with her boyfriend, but each time, I always watched her run back to him, and each time she'd come back heartbroken.

"Sounds about right," he giggled while I continued running my fingers through his hair, trying to stall actually braiding it for as long as I could. Venti seemed to pick up on this after about a minute or two as he looked up at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Did you say you'd rebraid my hair as an excuse to play with it?"

I gave him a grin, "maybe.."

He shook his head as he laughed, leaning his head against the front of my shoulder, "all you had to do was ask."

A/n: I was being over dramatic as I sat next to my friend today and he noticed so he wrapped his arm around me asking if I was alright AND HE DID THE THUMB RUB THING ON MY SHOULDER IM IN TEARS WHILE HE ASKED WHAT WAS WRONG </3 MAKE IT STOP I CANT AFFORD TO CATCH FEELINGS

Sorry this chapter is shitty, it was rushed asf