Chapter forty

2/2

Wei Ying situated Nie Huaisang at his table, sitting opposite him and serving him a cup of Uncle Four's fruit wine, "You should try it Nie-Xiong, it's very good!" He cheered.

Nie Huaisang smiled widely, "You know I will drink any liquor you place before me, Wei-Xiong~" He laughed.

Wei Ying snorted, blushing, "You flirt Nie-Xiong!" He cried, laughing as he drank his cup of wine.

Against his neck, Wei Ying felt an annoyed huff of air, he giggled.

Nie Huaisang looks different to when I last saw him... he looks aged, tired, he has an air of sadness around him... nothing like he used to feel...

-Wei Ying squeaked as the arms around him tightened, "L-Lan Zhan I c-can't breathe..." He stammered, giggling when the grip was loosened.

Lan Zhan smiled, hearing the giggle and knowing Wei Ying, even just for the time being, must be feeling much better.

"So what is up Nie Huaisang?" He smiled, "How have you been?"

Nie Huaisang froze, the liquor in the cup trembling as his breath kissed it, before he finally tilted his head back, downing the drink, "Same old same old," He shrugged, "Da-ge is still trying to get me to 'be a man' and I'm still never enough for him, you know."

Wei Ying gulped awkwardly, he knew how difficult home-life could be for Nie Huaisang, that's why he was always so welcoming, accepting, and cheerful when they hung out, "W-Well, if it wouldn't cause a siege, I'd ask you to stay." He snorted.

-Lan Zhan frowned, "Why him and not me?" He found himself asking.

-Wei Ying sighed, "Nie Huaisang doesn't contribute to his sect the way you do, plus, he has nobody for him at home, him staying would have improved his life more than it would have ruined it, but... Red-Blade-Master would have come and took him back... likely slaying anyone in his way."

Lan Zhan pursed his lips, being with you will always make my life better, no matter the circumstances.

Nie Huaisang smiled, "I do wish I could stay, Wei-Xiong, I wish... I wish I could do something to save you from this place..."

Wei Ying's lips parted, shiny and red from the wine, "Nie-Xiong..." He whispered, blinking, he shook his head, "It's okay Nie-Xiong, I'm happy here-"

"Don't lie to me." Nie Huaisang pleaded, "You told me how to spot your lies, we promised that if we lie to everyone else, we'll never hide anything from each other, so don't lie to me, Wei-Xiong..."

Jiang Cheng frowned, you can tell he is lying?

Wei Ying smiled, eyes filling with tears as he laughed woundedly, "W-When did you get this way Nie-Xiong?" He sniffed, laughing and crying into his cup of wine, "You were n-never so forward before."

Nie Huaisang smiled, eyes also filling with tears, "I've had time to think all alone in the Unclean Realm," He sighed, before bursting into sobs and laughs, "B-Between forced s-sabre practice and degrading..."

Wei Ying let his head drop, laughing and crying along with Nie Huaisang, only laughing harder when Nie Huaisang poured more liquor saying, "We're a mess."