Hate me║ Sacrifice

"Who are you?"

I stared directly at Eren, not finding the boy I once knew. I didn't need anybody to tell me what was happening—one look into those turquoise eyes and I knew they were absent.

The Eren I loved wasn't home anymore.

My heart cracked and my hands fell limply against my side. I could hear Jean shouting my name and feel Petra shaking my shoulder, but I was unable to respond.

Is that how it's going to be, huh

Then...

"—Oi, Eren! You gotta remember!" Jean flung over to the side of his bed. "Y-You have to remember! Come on" He cried out with stinging tears running down his cheeks. But Eren didn't react whatsoever, his expression remained nonchalant as he stared at his own hands.

"Jean, please..." Marco settled a hand on his shoulder, pulling him away. "Let's not do this here" His eyes narrowed, using all his might to stay calm.

"N-No way..." Historia situated both her hands across her lips in utter shock. "Eren..." She mumbled.

Mikasa stood up from her chair rapidly, moving up to touch Eren's shoulder. "Eren, maybe you-"

With a jolt, Eren flinched away from her grasp like he was afraid of being touched.
"—Don't" Was all he could mutter, rapid breaths escaping his mouth. "...I don't understand what's the matter with you all. I don't understand it all" Eren's eyes grew hollow again, staring back at the wall.

"Just leave me be...I'm tired" Eren brought his knees up to his chest, holding himself tightly.

Mikasa bit her lip, fresh tears at the corner of her eyes.

I was the only person Eren forgot.
He lost two years of his memory, which takes us back in ninth grade. One year after Grisha left, one year of being abused and having to push everyone away.

This was the Eren they knew.

"Everyone, please leave the room" The doctor had enough of our charade. "I'll talk to you outside" He was followed by a nurse as the room went silent again.

Everyone stared at me, eyes immersed with sympathy as I lowered my head. "Y/n..." Petra tried to soothe me, but there was nothing she could do—and she knew it.
Before I exited the room, I lended Eren one last glance to see if this was real, was this actually happening. His chin was left resting on his knees, staring off into space with no particular interest.

"I want a family with you"

"I promise to marry you in the future!"

N-No
Why?
Why?
Why?!

Maybe this was for the best. Maybe you could move on once I'm gone this way...
Right, it was the only choice we had. It was the sacrifice I was willing to make.

I'm so sorry, Eren

"Alright, as you have seen. Jaeger has lost approximately two years worth of memories" The doctor began, scamming over his journal. "He wouldn't talk much once waking up so it was difficult to point it out. But his close friends were able to determine the timeline" He explained, looking at our disheartening features.

"Then, he doesn't remember anything at all?" Sasha spoke up, brown eyes glossed over. She held Connie's hand tightly as the boy comforted her back.