15

Baby groaned and slammed his head on the desk. The varnished oak made a satisfying hollow sound as his head thunked down. He huffed and laid his cheek on the cool surface, eyes scanning the gloom of his room. It wasn't too late, about half eight but it was autumn and the sun went down early. Already his room was cloaked in shadow. His furniture loomed in dark shapes around him. The black colour mixing with the gothicness of the room. His brain was mush and his head hurt. There was school tomorrow and he hadn't been able to sleep all weekend, not since the motel California incident. Nightmares plagued his mind and he was honestly sick of them.

Defeated, he rose back up and flopped over the back of his chair. One hand absentmindedly pulled out his phone and dialled a number. It took three rings for Danny to pick up. "Baby", Danny sighed in audible frustration. "I am on a date with Ethan. It's was just getting good".

"Nice", Baby grinned. "Where are you?"

Danny exhaled loudly down the line, but it was tinged with fondness. "In a truck outside my house".

"Oooo", baby cooed. "It's that type of date then? Did I interrupt your snogging?"

"Yes. Yes you did. What is it?"

Baby deflated but it seemed that Danny had picked it up over the phone. They had known each other long enough for subtle messages like that. "What is it?" Danny repeated, voice softer.

"Nightmares", Baby exhaled. "I haven't slept in a while".

"Not even during the day?" Danny asked. Vampires could sleep at night or day, but they were more prone to being nocturnal.

"No. I get about half an hour before I'm awake again".

Danny sighed again. "Come on then baby. Come over. I know you want to".

Baby smiled. "Be there in five".

It took him less than five minutes to arrive at Danny's house. True to his word, he could see Danny's and Ethan's forms through the windscreen of a large shiny black truck. The suburban houses around them lit from the inside and calling in the evening dark. He tapped on the glass and grinned. Danny jumped and Ethan scowled at him. Baby three the door open and climbed up into the spare seat. "Budge up". Danny immediately shuffled over.

"Thank you for ruining my date", Ethan grumbled. Danny swatted him on the thigh.

"Baby", he grinned. "Did you need company?" He knew how, despite how much Baby loved his solitude, occasionally it all got too much and he needed to be in the presence of warm blooded people.

"Danny", Baby smirked. "You look ravished. Ethan doing his job then?" Danny's tshirt was crumpled and his lips were swollen with a red flush decorating his cheeks.

"He's doing a perfect job", Danny beamed. Then he paused. His face fell and he winced, one hand reaching up to his chest. "My chest hurts", he muttered in surprise.

"Is something wrong?" Ethan shifted at the sudden change. Danny coughed.

"No. It's gone, I think". He rubbed one hand on his chest. Baby frowned and leaned in closer to him. He inhaled deeply. The scent of fading arousal, sweat and Danny's usual musk was there. But there was something else too. A sour note mixed in with something sickly sweet.

Danny doubled over, coughs making him shake. The smell grew stronger and Baby recoiled against the car door as Danny began breathing heavily. "Danny?"

"Something is wrong", Danny wheezed. "It hurts. Oh god, it really hurts. I don't know what is happening".

"Danny?" Ethan was practically holding Danny up. "We need to go to the hospital". The truck rumbled to life and he pulled out of the parking spot.