08

"Did you know that there was a temple in Calcutta which used to sacrifice a child everyday", Stiles said as he followed after Lydia. "Do you know what today is? It's dead baby day. Cause everyday is dead baby day yay".

"Why are you talking to me?" Lydia asked. "And who is he?" She gestured to Baby who was walking quietly along with them.

"Because Scott is dealing with the Alpha twins and has left me keep an eye on the vampire".

"Twin Alphas?" Lydia paused.

"Yeah, Ethan and Aiden. The Alpha twins, did you not know?" Stiles gave her a look.

"Twins huh, wait vampire? Like a drinks blood vampire?"

"Hi". Baby waved. "Nice to meet you, my names Baby Spencer". He didn't really know why he was here but Stiles wouldn't leave him alone. Apparently he didn't trust him and was keeping an eye on him just in case. Baby could just knock him out but he didn't want a bunch of angry werewolves after him, so he decided to humour Stiles.

Lydia stared at him for a moment. She appreciatively looked him up and down. "Not bad, a bit on the skinny side though".

"Well, I was thinking that the murders come in threes. First three virgins then maybe three people who... own little dogs?" Stiles asked nervously.

"I own a little dog". Lydia frowned. "I'm not getting rid of prada".

"Just think about it", Stiles pleaded.

"No nope. Besides you can't concern a pattern from a single data point".

"True", Baby agreed. Lydia nodded in thanks.

"So I'm supposed to let them die? Just watch them wither up and die right in front of me?" Stiles waved his arms dramatically.

"You said they were strangled. That's a human thing to do", Lydia pointed out, stopping in the middle of the corridor. "So why don't you leave the working out to someone more human".

"You mean like my dad?"

"Yes I mean you're dad". Lydia huffed and walked away, leaving Baby and Stiles behind. "The sheriff".

Stiles watched her go before grabbing Baby by the arm. "Come on Baby, we're going to solve this thing", he resolved stubbornly before setting off, pulling Baby with him.

——

"You two are out of school early", Deaton remarked as Stiles tugged Baby into the vet clinic.

"Free period", Stiles excused.

"Hi Deaton", Baby smiled. "Got any food?"

"In the back, you know where".

"You're the best Deaton. With Stiles following me, I haven't been able to grab a bite. I was considering biting him". Baby grinned hungrily as Stiles shivered at the prospect of being bitten, and disappeared into the back room. The blood wars where it always was, in a fridge in the operating room. There was a mix for him to choose from, he like variety, animal and human. Baby chose a B+ bag and emptied it into his cup.

"Wait, you two know each other?" Stiles asked in surprise.

"I supply him with blood bags occasionally", Deaton explained as Baby reappeared. He was drinking through a straw from a slushie cup filled to the brim with a dark red liquid.

Stiles grimaced but returned his gaze back to Deaton. "You always seem to have loads of information. What can you tell me about the killings?"

"Listen all these sacrifices. The killings. All these symbols, the bank logo, the mountain ash, are the symbols of the Celtic druids. And the Celtic druids loved sacrifices", Stiles ranted as he followed Deaton into the back room. Baby trotted after them, watching with interest as he drank his blood.

"Ever heard of the lindo man? 2000 year old body found in England. Strangled, throat cut, head bashed in. Three fold death. There were pollen grains found in his stomach, guess what favourite Druid plant that was".

"Mistletoe", Baby answered as Deaton pulled out a small branch of that exact plant. "We already know all this".

"Then why aren't you two telling us?" Stiles asked. He looked at the two of them, black eyes sad and frustrated.

"So, is there a Druid doing this", he questioned after a minute.

"No", Deaton denied. "Just someone copying a centuries old practice of a people who didn't know better. Do you know what the word Druid means In Gaelic?"

"Wise oak", Baby supplied. Deaton nodded.

"The ancient druids were schoolers and philosophers, not serial killers".

Stiles shook his head. "Well this one is".

Unedited