37

Kira dropped Scott's bag as Baby shoved her towards the doors to the lacrosse changing rooms. She stumbled into a run through the doorway, Baby on her heels. He slammed the door shut with a bang. "Quick hide!" He called to her. If he was by himself, he would probably challenge the werecoyote. But he was with Kira and she didn't know about the supernaturals. He didn't want to break that.

So, he grabbed her by the shoulders and shoved her behind the lockers. There was the shattering of glass as the coyote broke through the glass window. "Shit", Baby muttered. He looked up. The ceiling in this room was quite high. "Quick. Climb on top of the lockers. I'll give you a boost". The lockers were tall enough that the coyote probably couldn't jump up there easily.

"What about you?" Kira whispers. They could hear the click of the coyote's claws on the stone floor as it drew closer.

"Just do it", Baby snapped. Kira flinched at his sharp tone and obeyed. She put her foot into his linked hands and he boosted her up high enough for her to crawl safely on top of the lockers. Her scared face peered back at him as a growl began to echo round.

"Baby! Look out!"

Baby turned just as the coyote leapt at him. It's weight hit him in the chest, knocking him to the floor. Kira screamed as the coyote bit and scratched at him. Baby held up his arms in defence and it's teeth sunk into the skin. He yelled in pain as blood began dripping down his new jacket. The coyote snarled and released him, reading back to strike again.

A hand appeared and knocked the coyote back. Scott caught Baby by the collar and pulled him to his feet. Coyote rolled and snarled at them. Scott kicked a bench across the floor and the coyote scrambled back, disappearing out of sight. "Is it gone?" Kira asked.

"I think so", Scott murmured. "Come on, let me help you down". He held out his arms and helped her climb down from the lockers. Kira brushed the dust off herself then turned to baby.

"Oh god, your arm".

——

"A couple of students saw it running across the field and back into the woods", Sheriff Stilinski said. Stiles and his father were walking towards the lacrosse locker rooms, following a group of blue uniformed men holding metal poles with a wire loop on the end. "Thank god no body got too badly hurt".

"What happens now that she's hurt someone?" Stiles asked.

Sheriff Stilinski sighed. "They will most likely have to put it down".

"Put her down. Dad try jot to forget there's a girl in there. One that you'll be killing. Come on, you're not back to not believing are you?"

Sheriff turned sharply. "You know what. I believe that there are a lot of things I don't understand yet. But that doesn't mean that anything is suddenly possible", his voice grew hushed. "Now are you a hundred percent sure that this is a girl and not an animal?"

"Yes", stiles stated. "Because Scott's sure". He glanced past his father into the locker room where Scott was hovering. The alpha watching them. "Scott you been listening?" In the room, far out of hearing range for a human, Scott nodded. The sheriff sighed.

"Well you'll probably change your tune when you find out which student this girl coyote injured".

Stiles felt his pulse drop. "Wait. Who was it?" His question was answered as his dad led him into the room and he saw Baby seated on one other benches as a paramedic bandaged his arm. His pale blue denim jacket was speckled in blood and his hair was in disarray. "Baby!" Stiles called as he crossed over to his boyfriend. "What happened?"

"Hi", baby grinned as Stiles sat down at his side. "I have your bag. You forgot it in class". Scott wondered over and took the empty space on Baby's other side as the paramedic finished.

"There", they said. "Keep the bandages on for the rest of the day. You can change them at night and change them again to a lighter layer next morning. You've been given shots in case the coyote had rabies but if the wound doesn't stop bleeding by tomorrow or starts to look infected then come into hospital".

Baby nodded and thanked them as they left. "Did she bite you?" Stiles asked in concern. His fingers hovering over the bandages as if he wanted to heal the wound with his touch.

"Yeah. She just attacked me and Kira out of nowhere", Baby muttered. "I couldn't do much because Kira was there. Luckily Scott arrived and his general Wolf aura chased it off". He laughed then winced. "Urgh, normal human pain relief makes me feel sick".

"Why aren't you healing?" Stiles murmured. Baby hummed and leaned his head on his shoulder as Stiles began stroking a hand across his back.

"You guys are right. She is a werewolf. I can't heal the same way from their bites. I'm just going to have to treat this wound the human way". Baby yawned and closed his eyes for a second, leaning into Stiles' touch. Then he jolted upright suddenly as he remembered. "I think she was after your bag Love", he said as he went to pick up Stiles' bag from the floor. He unconsciously reached out with his bandaged arm and hissed as it tugged at his stitches. Scott scooped it up instead.

One of the bag straps, the one that had been hooked around Baby's arm, was torn from the coyote's claws and teeth. Scott unzipped it and pulled out a old baby doll. It was slightly raggedy and dirty. Scott looked at it and sighed at stiles. "You took the doll from the car".

"I through you could use it to find her scent", Stiles mumbled, attention on Baby who had leant on his shoulder again. "I didn't realise this would happen".

"Don't blame yourself", Baby muttered. "It's fine. Just a few stitches".

"Stitches!" Stiles yelped. His eyes going back to baby's bandages. "How many?"

"Stop freaking out", Baby booped him on the nose. "It was't that many".

"I am so going to take you to Deaton's and have him check it out. He knows more about this sort of stuff than that paramedic does".

"Where did you get that?" A man's voice interrupted. All three boys turned to see an middle aged man with greying Sandy hair staring at the doll in Scott's hands. He stormed forwards and snatched it. "Where did you find this?" His raised voice had drawn everyone's attention. He looked down at the doll in his hands with grief. "It belonged to my daughter".

Sheriff Stilinski moved between them and the man. "Mr Tate. I don't know how you heard about this but you can't be here". He began pushing the man gently back out the door. Then he paused and a look of shame crossed Mr Tate's face. The sheriff nudged aside Mr Tate's jacket to reveal the handle of a gun.

"I have a permit".

"California schools are gun free zones, permit or no permit. You need to leave now".

"You find that animal!" He snarled before he stormed off. There was a pause as everyone watched him leave.

"Mr Spencer", Mr Yukimura announced as he walked over. He smiled at Baby warmly. "And Mr McCall. Thank you for looking after my daughter". Behind him, Kira smiled at them. "We owe you a debt Mr Spencer. Thank you so much for keeping her safe".

"It's okay", Baby nodded.

"How bad is your injury. We will quite happily pay your insurance".

"No! No", baby declined. "It's fine. Just some bandages".

"And stitches", Kira pointed out. "You got twelve stitches". Baby winced as Stiles frowned.

"Twelve stitches? You said you only got a few", Stiles grumbled. He wrapped an arm around Baby's waist and began to gently led him to the door. "Come on, we're going to see Deaton now. No arguments".

"Thank you Mr Yukimura", baby called back. "See you in class Kira".

Unedited