34

Stiles woke up screaming. He kicked out, legs tangling in his blanket. Instantly something cold was on his face and fingers were brushing through his hair. "Darling, hey. Stiles, hey, hey", A voice soothed. Stiles blinked as Baby's face swam into focus. His eyes adjusting to the moonlit room as Baby ran his fingers through his hair. His hands were cold, blessedly so. Stiles sighed and sagged into Baby's arms. The other boy cradling him against his chest.

"Babe", He murmured as his pulse began to slow. "Am I awake?"

"Im cold, aren't I?" Baby replied. "It's okay. You're awake". He began rocking them slowly. Stiles clinging to his shoulders as they rocked back and forwards. Outside the night was silent. The two boys tangled in the duvet as they clung to one another. Their heartbeats thudding in each other's ears as they slowly rocked. Baby was wearing a long sleeved shirt he had borrowed from Stiles and a pair of cotton trousers. The shirt was soft from age and it was slightly big around Baby's shoulders.

A knock on the door made their heads turn. It creaked open and the light from the hallway spilled in as Noah Stilinski entered. (When he was out of uniform, he was Noah not Sheriff). He was in his grey sleep wear and his eyes were tired. He blinked at the two of them in the same bed but stumbled in and perched on the edge of the mattress. He reached out and placed his hand on Stiles knee. "I heard you screaming. Are you okay?"

Stiles swallowed and sat up a bit, making sure to keep Baby's hands on him. Baby wrapped his arms round Stiles' waist. The weight of them grounding. "Yeah. Baby calmed me down".

Noah nodded. "So. You two are dating? I suppose that solves my question about kissing".

"Yeah but can we not do the whole 'I've got a boyfriend' talk at"- Stiles glanced at his bedside clock. "Three fifteen in the morning?"

"Alight", Noah sighed. He stood and nodded at baby. "I just wanted to check on you. You're a good kid Baby".

"Thank you sir", Baby replied as the man left the room. The door clicked shut and the two boys were left alone in the gloom. Stiles exhaled and laid his head on Baby's shoulder.

"Did I wake you?"

"No", Baby hummed. "I was already awake. I find it hard to sleep at night".

"Oh yeah. Vamps are nocturnal. How do you stay awake in school?"

"Years of practise", Baby smiled. He hummed a soothing tune as he rocked them slowly side to side.

"So what do you do to pass the night if you don't sleep?" Stiles asked. He wanted to keep talking. The conversation was soothing and he didn't want to return to sleep just yet. He shivered slightly and Baby reached out to pull the duvet closer around them.

"Let's lie down", he suggested. They shuffled over so that they were lying facing each other, Baby's arms still around Stiles' waist. Once they were comfortable, he answered Stiles' question. "Normally when I would get home from school then I'd go to bed and sleep up to around midnight. Then I would get up and do homework, go hunting, or watch a movie. Around four in the morning just as dawn would be rising, I would go back to sleep and wake up in time for school. I don't need as much sleep as you humans".

Stiles listened to him speak dazedly. One of his hands was playing with Baby's bed head. The russet strands were fluffy and sticking up. He smoothed them down with his fingers only to watch as the strands sprung back up again. "When I lived with my sister, she would be awake at night to go hunting. She was like the argents in that she still upheld the hunters code, but only on those creatures who killed for fun. My parents disowned her too when she chose me over them so we only had each other". He paused and a nostalgic smile flitted across his face.