Origin part 3: The Lost Pilgrim

I have been dying to write this chapter and it's finally here! 

"Greg!"

A teenage boy ran through the snow-coated woods, frog in his hands and navy blue cape fluttering behind him as he searched for his younger brother. He had woke up alone tangled in edelwood vines. Now he was searching for the brother he lost.

"Greg!" The boy shouted, his footsteps slowing from exhaustion. No, I-I have to keep go- A shape in the distance snapped the boy out of his thoughts. He squinted his eyes and saw a blue blur coming at him. The blur hit him in the face and he fell back, coming face to face with a familiar bluebird

"Wirt!?" "Beatrice?" Wirt stood up and glared at the untrustworthy bird in front of him. "What are you doing out here?" he questioned. The last time he saw her, she tried to give him away as a child servant. "I saw Greg!" Beatrice yelled, trying to fly up. That caught Wirt's attention. His eyes went wide and he picked her up, looking down at her, and waited for the bird to reveal his brother's location.

"H-he was with someone! This way or. . . wait. Um. . ." The bird looked around, her wing trying to point in the right direction. Wirt frowned and sighed. "Beatrice you should go home," he said, getting ready to let go of her. "I can't! Not yet! Not until. . . Greg is safe." Wirt studied her for a bit, her hesitation not escaping him. Reluctantly, he accepted the answer and nodded. "Okay. . . thank you, Beatrice." She just nodded, staying quiet.

The two of them continued through the woods in pursuit of Greg. Wirt called out for his younger brother, guilt coursing through his body. If he had been a better brother, Greg would still be here. They would be home instead of here.

A faint light appeared in the corner of Wirt's eyes so he turned to follow it. In the middle of a clearing, there was a lantern sticking out of the snow, the glowing flame pulling Wirt in. Illuminated by the bright fire was a young boy, trapped in edelwood branches. "Greg!"

Wirt ran forward, setting the frog down and rushing to free his brother. He tugged at the vines, cutting himself in the process. But that didn't matter, all that mattered was freeing Greg. "O-oh Greg!" The young boy tilted his head toward the older one, putting on a weak smile. "I did it, Wirt! I beat the Beast!" Greg started coughing up leaves, scaring and disgusting his brother. "Aw geez! They're even growing inside of him!"Beatrice yelled, but Greg was quick to assure them that he was just eating leaves.

That didn't soothe Wirt's worries, who continued to rip the branches off his brother. This was all his fault, he should have been better, he should have been there for him. Greg's eyes started to close as he told Wirt to get back home for them. "What no. C-come on, w-we have to get. . . Jason Funderberker back home," Wirt said, holding up the pale frog. He had to keep Greg happy, had to distract him so that they could go home. Greg smiled but slowly drifted off, his eyes closing as he went limp. 

Tears escaped Wirt's eyes and he tried even harder to free his brother. Something fell behind him and Wirt and Beatrice turned to find the woodsman, unconscious in the snow. Two glowing white eyes appeared behind the trees and narrowed at Wirt. "Give me my lantern." "No way. We need this thing!" Beatrice responded and Wirt nodded in agreement. "Y-yeah I'm keeping this. I h-have to get Greg home." 

The Beast moved forward, his fur cloak moving in the wind behind him. "Your brother is too weak to go home. He will soon be a part of my forest."  Wirt shook his head, standing up to face the Beast. "No! I won't let that happen!" "Well then, perhaps we should make a deal." Wirt watched as the Beast held out his hand. "A-a deal?" the boy questioned, hoping that it would save Greg. The Woodsman groaned from pain behind him, but Wirt ignored it.