chapter 11

madison's POV

i had been going to the hospital quite recently over the last few days. the chief, dr webber, kept looking after me and entertaining me while amelia was doing surgeries. she wouldn't let me go view any of her surgeries though. i think she thinks i won't be able to handle the blood, although i have tried to persuade her that i am fine with blood. unfortunately, dr webber was in surgery right now and so was amelia so i didn't really have anyone to talk to. maggie and meredith talked to me a little earlier but they had to go somewhere so i was alone in the attendings lounge again.

amelia's POV

i had been in and out of surgery all day and madison had been left in the attendings lounge. generally she is pretty happy up there, she keeps to herself and only talks to the people i have introduced her to. i think she is trying to be cautious about telling people she lives with me just to protect me in some way, which is sweet but most people know now. arizona has been quite good to talk to recently. i have only known her for like a week, but i already feel like i can tell her everything.

"hey, dr shepherd, how are you?" arizona walks up to me

"hey, i'm good. you?"

"yeah good thanks" arizona goes quiet

"did you want something?" i ask

"umm...well i want to talk to you about something" she says nervously

"arizona, you know you can talk to me about anything. what is it?"

"okay, well, i wanted to ask you if you wanted to come have drinks with me. this evening?"

"i would say yes, but i have madison to think about. i don't really have anyone who can look after her who she would be comfortable around."

madison's POV

"you mean that girl who you always bring here with you?" i hear someone say around the corner. then i hear amelia's voice.

"she isn't just some girl arizona, she lives with me."

"yeah i know, but isn't she like 15, she can survive at your house by herself."

"okay, yes she could, but i don't want to leave her alone. i love her arizona, and i am responsible for her. i have to look after her." wait, did i just hear what i think i heard? amelia just said she loved me. i love her too i think. she has been so good to me. i kinda wish she is going to tell me, i mean, now i know but i guess i am not supposed to. amelia continues. "i want her to stay with me forever, introduce her as more than just some girl i live with."

"okay, okay not tonight then, maybe tomorrow evening? then you can talk to madison about it beforehand"

"i guess that will work. thank you arizona."

i hear footsteps and run around the corner. i head straight back towards the attendings lounge just incase amelia was going to come looking for me. sure enough, i was right and almost immediately after i sat down, amelia walks through the door.

"ready to go home madison?" amelia stands in front of me and puts out her hands. i grab them and she pulls me up off the sofa.

"yep, let's head home" i smile at her. i plan on telling her i love her this evening. i only convinced myself to do it knowing that she told dr robbins she loves me too.

as soon as we get home, amelia makes dinner for us both as we were starving. i am so nervous and barely eat a thing. amelia kept looking at me and then my plate, but never said anything about it. we make small talk and i try to act as normal as possible.

"is everything okay?" amelia suddenly asks out of nowhere

"yeah, um it is fine" i say distressed

"okay, well i know something's up, you have barely eaten anything." i look up at her, trying to figure out how i get out of this situation. "if you don't want to talk about whatever it is right now, we can go watch some TV or something, and come back to dinner later?" i nod my head in agreement and we head to the sofa. amelia always knew how to make me feel better.

amelia's POV

i am worried about madison. she barely ate anything and i know something is bothering her. as if she knew what i was thinking she startles me when she speaks.

"can i just go to bed?" she asks.

"umm yeah sure, are you sure there is nothing you want to talk about?" i try and persuade her to speak to me.

"yeah there's nothing" she stands up and begins to walk off.

"you know you can always talk to me. i am always here for you" i say as she walks out the room.

after about 20 minutes i walk upstairs to check she is okay.

"hey madison, i just wanted to say goodnight."

"goodnight amelia." i begin to shut the door. "i love you." she says. omg, she really just said that. i open the door and couldn't stop smiling. i climb into bed with her and she lays her head on my shoulder.

"i love you too, and i want you to stay with me forever, if that is what you want. you make me happy and i couldn't imagine my life without you anymore. i understand your past has been difficult, but you have now been sober for 9 days now and i am so proud of you. i know you think your parents wouldn't care, which is why i am here for you. i love you so much madison."

"amelia, really! i would love to stay with you. forever. you have helped me turn my life around and made me happier than i have ever been before. i don't care what my parents think, your opinion is all that matters to me anymore. you forced me to get sober and it is the best thing i have done in my entire life. i love you more than you could imagine." she says smiling at me. i put my arms around her and give her the biggest hug i could. she hugs me back and we both fall asleep in her bed. i honestly cannot believe how lucky i am to have met this kid.

authors note:
thank you so so so much for all the support this story has received. it honestly means so much to me! if you have any ideas or recommendations for the storyline please comment or message me :))