chapter 36

madison's POV

today is the day of the party. finally. i get myself ready and start doing my makeup. i had already decided that would wear a mini black dress with a small open slit on my left leg. jo helped me pick it out a couple days ago. i am excited to show it to mum and arizona because they haven't seen it yet and i want to know what they are going to think. while i'm still trying to do my makeup, mum walks in.

"hey mads, how's it going? nearly ready?" she asks. i turn around to face her, eyes welling up with tears. "bubs, what's wrong?" she comes to wrap her arms around me. 

"i'm 15 years old and i have no idea what to do with my makeup. everyone else my age knows exactly what they are doing and i'm sat here researching everything and it is taking forever" i reply frustrated. 

"well then, that's an easy problem to fix. today, if you want, i can do your makeup for you, however you want it and in the future zona and i can give you makeup lessons and i reckon jo would be willing to help as well. then by the time the next party rolls around you will know exactly what to do. how does that sound?" i never understand how mum always knows exactly what i need when i don't even know what it is myself, but it just makes me so happy. 

"yeah okay. that's good. thank you mum" she immediately pulls over another chair and faces me in front of her. she starts putting this skin colour liquid on me and violently hitting my face with this sponge thing. i am just trusting the process and hoping that i won't be left looking like a complete idiot. after putting some powder stuff onto my face, she begins to work on my eyes. i tell her i just want a neutral look and she does just that. eventually, she finishes my makeup completely and tells me to go look in the mirror. 

"omg, mum, you are amazing. thank you so much" i go and hug her, being careful not to smudge my makeup onto her clothes. 

"aww look at you two" i hear from the doorway. mum pulls away and turns around as well to see arizona stood there looking at us. "mads you look absolutely gorgeous. stunning." she walks up to join the group hug. 

we proceed to get into the car and head to the party and i start to get stressed. what if things don't go exactly how they are supposed to? what if i am really tempted by the drugs? what if i do get high and mum and zona find out? mum would be so disappointed in me. arizona notices my distress from the passenger seat and mouths 'everything will be okay' to me which does seem to calm be down a little bit. i call one of my friends, jasmine, who comes to meet me by the front door and take me in. here goes nothing. 

inside the house, the music is blasting. i can barely hear anything else. i forgot how loud parties were. jas drags me over to a group of her friends and i begin to get to know them. one of them, noah, offers me a drink but i immediately decline it. 

"why not? never drunk before and you're too scared?" he mocks me. i don't want to tell anyone the truth, not even jas knows about my previous drug addiction. all she knows is that i don't drink. 

"i just don't drink" i respond. that seems to be a good enough answer as he walks away trying to offer the drink to other girls. suddenly i hear a voice next to me. 

"so, you won't drink huh?" the voice asks.

"no, why is it any of your business?" i reply, confused as to who this girl is. 

"anything i can do to change that?" she smiles cheekily, obviously trying to persuade me it's a good idea. i ignore her and begin to walk off but she grabs my arm and pulls me back. i flinch at the contact and she definitely notices but doesn't say anything. "come on, please" she begs. i decide one drink can't be too bad, i just have to make it last as long as possible. 

she takes me to the drinks area and pours me a small beer, which i act grateful for. 

"by the way, what's your name?" she asks. 

"madison, you?" 

"eden" we make general conversation while she keeps grabbing drinks and getting more and more drunk by the minute. i keep taking small sips of the beer and she pours me another one which i don't refuse. sometimes, i do try to refuse the drinks, but she keeps pouring them for me and i keep drinking them, i can't stop myself. she starts speaking flirtatiously and grabs my hand. at first i want to pull away, but i don't. the warmth of her hand comforts me in a way i've never felt before. she continues to hold my hand and rubs it gently while the conversation continues to flow. there is never a moment of awkward silence or anything. 

soon enough, my phone rings and i know it's arizona telling me she is leaving home to come and get me. i decline the call and just text her saying 'sorry, i will see you soon. i'll meet you where you dropped me off in 10 minutes' 

"who was that?" eden asks.

"oh it was just my..." i stumble over my words a little bit, trying to figure out what the call arizona. "my mum's partner" i eventually say. "she was just calling to tell me she is on her way to pick me up"

"she?" eden questions. i panic briefly before just being honest.

"yeah my mum is bi"

"ohh okay, that's cool. but does that mean you have to go soon?" 

"yeah unfortunately it does. i was kinda dreading this party but thanks for making it a good evening" i say kindly, honestly appreciating her entertainment this evening.

"i might be able to make it even better" she leans in towards me and just before she kisses me i push her back slightly. "why not?" she pouts.

"because, i'm drunk, you're very drunk, and i have nothing against this but i don't just wanna be some random person you kissed on a night out. if you still want this when you wake up in the morning, here is my number. i quickly scribble down my number on a napkin and hand it to her. i'm very willing to talk to you again eden." i say before walking off. i don't know why i just did that, it is so unlike me, and especially with a girl. i thought i was straight but now i'm thinking maybe not. eden looks upset but i know i've done the right thing for me. now, time to convince arizona and mum that i'm not drunk and i haven't done anything suspicious.