Chapter 49

Bryn's POV

Five minutes after the initial encounter Michael and Franklin arrive, carefully climbing the worn out staircase.
"Hey homies! Oh hey little dude!"
Franklin says, tickling the baby. Carter giggles in response, causing even hardass Trevor to smile. Michael gave me a smile and a nod, sat down beside Trevor. Things seemed a little more awkward between them now but definitely not the worst I've seen.
"Well, the gangs all here. Let's get started."
Lester sighed, standing up and hobbling over to his board.
"So as you all know, if we pull this off this will be the biggest score we've ever succeeded. This is the Union Depository."
Lester placed his finger onto a picture thumb-tacked into the board.
"Largest bank around. Known for holding more than two hundred million in gold bars. This will surely be the Holy Grail, per say. Their security is tight. Very tight. I've already had Franklin and Michael scope out the property. Based on my calculations there are two ways to go about this. There is the obvious way, which Michael and an additional gunman will distract authorities by pretending to rob the bank. Meanwhile, Franklin will drill to the vault, placing explosives on the vault as a means to obtain the gold. Trevor, you and an additional driver will fly the gold to a train, but you will likely be under Merryweather's radar. The subtle way of going about it would be intercepting two scheduled armored cars. We will have to have an ID badge in order to enter the building, so you guys will have to kidnap one of the guards and hope they don't blow your cover. From there you will steal the uniforms from the other guards and dress up as Gruppe Sechs in order to gain access to the building. We will then collect the gold as the Gruppe Sechs were ordered to do, and drive it to a nearby hiding spot. I've scoped out a pretty good one near the Vanilla Unicorn. Either way, Merryweather will likely be on your tail. Choose wisely, which will it be?"
We all looked at each other, puzzled. I glanced over at Trevor and could tell he was conflicted. The old Trevor would have chosen the obvious route in a heartbeat, the adrenaline pumping through his veins. I caught him watching Carter, who was reaching for him from Franklin's lap.
It was almost as if he was being forced into this. I wanted to speak up, but I didn't know what to say.
"Well, we can continue to sit here and dream about it or you guys could get on with it."
Lester urged.
I finally spoke up, but the words were not what I planned to say.
"I think the subtle way will be smarter. It will give everyone more time to work out errors. Plus, Merryweather would likely have more of a gap between reaction times leaving a safer method of escape."
Trevor's eyes widened as if I had signed his death certificate .  I gave him a reassuring smile, sliding my hand onto his. No, I didn't want him to do this. This is totally going against the new lives we've worked hard for. But I see the desperation in Michael's gaze, how he needs to pay Madrazo off. I see Frank who is eager just to make a buck to get the hell out of his aunt's house. I see Carter, who deserves the best future possible. And Lester, who has put so much dedication in planning this score.
"I agree with her. The subtle route seems like a better layout."
Franklin chimed in.
"Yeah, the less people involved the better."
Michael added.
"And one more thing."
Everyone turned their attention to me. I motioned toward the plan.
"Add my name to the list. I'm going in with you guys."
Trevor looked as if he was going to have a stroke. Michael and Franklin turned to me questioningly. Lester sighed.
"Why should I add you to the list? You're inexperienced, Bryn. You've only done two scores in your life and you're wanting to go from crawling to running a marathon? I think not."
"I mean, maybe a familiar helping hand will be useful."
Michael intercepted, receiving a silent glare from Trevor.
Lester thought for a moment, then sighed.
"Well if I tell you no then Trevor will probably try to pull out. I guess we have a package deal."
With that he scribbled my name into the plan.
"Alright, I will call you guys when I have everything set up. For now, scram. I gotta get back to my game."
Lester gave Carter one last squeeze and we headed to the truck. The drive home was mostly silent. It wasn't until we got home that the mood changed..