Chapter 25: Manipulation

You didn't realize how deep in thought you were. You and Simon ended up falling back asleep, the two of you not waking up till the sun was already setting.

When you woke up, Simon was at your feet, still knocked out for the night. You decided maybe it was time for you to go switch watch with Levi, just in case he was tired. When you walked out of your tent, adjusting your gear a bit, you slowly made your way to them.

As they came into sight, you could hear their conversation a little more clearly now.

"You called it 'that village', it's name was Ragako. It was a village full of eldians you slaughtered, you bearded shit." Levi snarled at Zeke. You realized now that they were talking about how Connie's family village got to where it was.

"Yes... I wish I didn't have to do it, either... but I had to. If Marley had learned that my true allegiance was to Eldians, I would never have been able to bring hope to this island." He looked at Levi confused now. "I said all of this when I landed here. Why do you keep asking me about it again and again?"

"Because I can see you don't carry a speck of guilt. I'm not sure if you really want to save Eldia or not... but I'm certain those people's lives meant nothing to you." Levi said coldly.

"You must've been real popular with the ladies." Zeke said, seeing you coming up from behind Levi. "It's not nice to make assumptions about other people's feelings, you know."

"I know..." Levi admitted, to your surprise. "And... I was popular enough..." He made a strained noise when you kicked him from behind, not hard enough to hurt him, but hard enough to show your anger towards his answer.

"Hi (Y/n)." Zeke smiled up at you, but you frowned at him, then at Levi. Levi cleared his throat as he stood up to stand next to you.

"I thought you were resting?" He said.

"I was, I came to relieve you of babysitting for a bit, but it seems like you guys are having an important conversation." You said, spitefully. You forced a smile, and sat on the box facing Zeke and you tapped it to invite Levi to sit. "What do you say, Zeke? Let's hear more about these ladies Levi was so popular with." You looked up at Levi and he rolled your eyes at your pettiness.

"Oh yes!" Zeke clapped.

"No. Let's talk about something else, anything else." He sat next to you, and leaned into your ear. "I don't know why you're jealous. I married you, didn't I?" You turned your face away from him, just to be a little more petty. "I fell in love with you, right?" And when you went to turn away again, he grabbed your chin and whispered in your ear harshly. "I only fuck you the way that I do, right?!" Your eyes widened, and you pulled your face away and you finally gave in saying you were just messing with him.

But still the mere thought of someone else touching him made your blood boil.

You both turned back to Zeke who was smiling still waiting to hear these stories of Levi, but you agreed with Levi finally to change the subject.

"Alright then... When are you guys going to have me meet Eren and start this experiment?" Zeke asked, his face turned serious now, making you shift in your seat uncomfortably.

"It's not our call." Levi said. "We have to wait for orders from headquarters."

"Tell them that if they think they have time to wait around, they're mistaken." Zeke warned.

"Finally, we agree on something." Levi snarled back at him.

"Hm?" You looked at Zeke now, as he looked up in the trees, like he could see something, or someone. Zeke looked at you now and you stood up fast when you heard rustling from above you as well.