Chapter 26: Troublesome

You stood up after hearing what Athen finally admitted happened. You and Simon frowned down at him, and his stupid smirk.

"So you stabbed Ava?" Simon asked, frowning.

"Indeed I did." Athen said, seeming like he didn't care. He coughed out in pain as Simon kicked him clean in the chest.

"Where was Kuchel when you did that?" You asked, worried about your daughter's safety.

"Behind me, watching it all happen." He lied.

It took you everything not to cut his head clean off.

"You see," he gave you a sinister smile, "I got in her head, and I got her to betray you all." He added, snickering.

"Congratulations." You said sarcastically. "You manipulated a four year old, I do that to her everytime she doesn't eat her vegetables." You added, you grabbed Simon and pulled on him to walk further away from Athen. "Tomorrow morning, we take him and we go back home. I need to be with Kuchel right now, and I need to make sure Ava is still alive." You said and he nodded in agreement. "For now, keep watch over him for the rest of the night. Don't let him manipulate you in anyway." You looked over at Athen now. "Don't believe anything he says, that's not Athen in there... for all I care, my brother is dead." You said coldly to Simon and he gave you a sad look, both of you knowing what you've lost.

You shot your gear up to a branch where Levi was with the scouts that came to report to you guys of what's happening back home.

When you landed all you could hear was Levi sigh out in disbelief. "Zackly was killed?"

"Yes.. the Yeagerists effectively control everything inside the walls. We believe all the chaos is being caused by Zeke, through Eren and Yelena." You approached, taking your place next to Levi now.

"And?" Levi asked, wanting them to continue.

"The Yeagerists will probably be brought to Zeke, just as they've been demanding."

"What about Pixis?" You asked. "He'll just roll over?"

"As you say, the commander remains steadfast. He's working on a plan to take advantage while Eren is being led here." One of the scouts said to you, and the other approached now.

"It's unfortunate, but... this is the only way to defend Eldia against rule by the Yeagerists and Zeke." He stated.

"You mean have someone else eat Eren right? By our hands." Levi sighed out.

"... Yes." The scout stated, and you looked down in disappointment. When you looked over at Levi, with that same look in his eyes, you knew he had the same thoughts as you right now.

You and him have saved Eren's life again and again. Each time... you've lost so many comrades. You both did it, because you really thought he was the best chance you got for humanity's survival... And this... this is where that belief has gotten you guys. It's almost like one big awful joke. The hope we all looked toward... What was it really?

Waiting for us after all that death... was this?

"If there's anyone we should feed to a Titan..." Levi pointed his blade down towards Zeke. "It's that piece of shit."

"What do you mean?" One of the scouts asked.

"We'll transfer Zeke's Beast. Grab one of those Yeagerists or something, turn them into a Titan, and feed Zeke to them. Then, if Historia's prepared like she says she is, we'll feed the Titan to her next. We just need to wait a few months for her to give birth." Levi stated, and even you thought it was a little too risky waiting that long for something to happen. Historia had at least a couple more months before she was due, at least from when she said she got pregnant.