Part 7

"Holy shit, she actually did it," Paul said, flicking the paper.

The singer shook his head and sighed, thankful that it would not be that hard to get in contact with you again. He still needed his manager's help for sure, but now Paul could contact you and prove his point. Paul went to pick up the house phone and dial the phone number, realizing he had no clue what time zone you were in, not wanting to buzz your phone, and it is 11 pm. The guitarist ran back downstairs with the paper in hand toward the sofa, searching for his cell phone.

"Where is the fucking thing? When I need it, I can't find it, but when I don't, someone will call it sixty times!" Paul yelled.

"Daddy, are we going to eat soon?" Evan asked.

"Son of a bit...!!!" the singer yelled.

Paul jumped and grabbed his chest, scared by the sight of his son standing in front of him. The guitarist had forgotten the fight with his ex and that his son was with him for a few extra weeks. Paul stuffed the paperback in his pocket and headed toward the kitchen, looking for any distraction for the time being to keep his mind off of you. Evan right behind his dad, humming a tune softly under his breath while he pulled his step stool to the counter.

"So, what are you in the mood for?" Paul asked as he headed toward the sink to wash his hands.

"Grilled cheese, please!" The boy exclaimed,

"Excellent choice!" Paul replied, grabbing a towel to dry his hands.

The singer smiled and leaned against the counter, watching the little boy gather the ingredients and lay them on the counter for Paul. Paul was thankful for throughout the divorce because Evan continued to adjust semi-well, though his world shattered. Paul turned around and began cooking until there was a feeling of someone holding on to his legs, making the man jump slightly and look down. The seven-year-old looked up at him with sad brown eyes.

"What are you doing, son?" Paul asked, smiling down at the little boy.

"Just giving you a hug and watching you cook, is that okay?" Evan countered, pulling away slightly.

"You can always hug me if you want to. You never have to ask me." The singer replied, turning off the burner and kneeling.

"I love you, Daddy. I'm glad I get to spend an extra week with you." The little boy replied.

"I love you too, Evan. We are going to have a great time together." Paul replied.

Paul wrapped his arms around his son in a tight hug for a few minutes. Then, smiling at the feeling of Evan wrapping his arms tightly around his dad's neck, burying his little head into the singer's neck. Paul pulled away after a couple of minutes and kissed the boy's cheek. The two of them spent the rest of the time in silence, eating dinner at the small breakfast bar. Both lost in their own thoughts for the moment until Paul looked up at the clock on the microwave, seeing it was close to Evan's bedtime.

"Alright, bath time and bedtime. I'll let you watch tv for an hour and then come and tuck you in." The singer told the boy.

"What are you going to do?" Evan asked, standing up from the table.

"I've gotta make a phone call to a friend. Now get going and use soap this time! I'll come to check on you soon." Paul replied sternly.

The guitarist watched the boy run up the stairs and waited until he heard Evan's bathroom door slam shut. Paul jumped up from his chair and grabbed his cell phone from his leather jacket, still lying across the couch. The singer dug his hand into the pocket of his black jeans, pulling out the crumpled-up piece of paper, grinning at the note you had scribbled on it. Paul took a seat behind the desk in his small office, letting out a deep breath, anxiety slapping him in the face as he tried to figure out what to say in a text message.

"Stop making this complicated, Paul! It's just a simple conversation hello, just without her being face to face with you." Paul said to himself.

He let out a shaky breath and began typing a few sentences, stopping to reread it a few times, worried he would sound like a complete clown. Paul had been out of the dating realm for over ten years, and with the added technology, it seemed complicated. After one last check, he pressed send and leaned back in his chair, staring at the phone, waiting for a message to come right back.

"Balls in her court, let's see if she throws it back this way," Paul said out loud, throwing it back on the desk.