Part 2: Chapter 7.

Today was the day. The day I would escape with Eri. I stewed in the observation room where I had spent many days prior- thinking of how if I failed, I would most likely be killed. But hey ho, it's better to die trying than not try at all- and die anyways.

The clock ticked away- it was almost 12pm. That was when Nemoto went to go and get his lunch. This typically took 10-15 minutes. So, I had a short time to work with. Although, time was now putty in my hands.

"I'll be back in a minute." I flashed Nemoto a thumbs-up as he left his desk and closed the door behind him.

It was a race against time when I ran for the clock and carefully took it to the table. Using my fingernail, I quickly undid the screws of the back of the clock and got to work on the mechanism.

"Fuck..." I glanced over the small cogs, not seeing the quartz anywhere. The quartz in a clock looked like a weird little fuse thing, and it must have been hiding deeper in the contraption. I pulled apart the cogs, to reveal the very thing I was looking for.

Breathing a sigh of relief, the item twisted between my fingers as I admired it.

"Okay. Theory one- it's just the quartz that I need." I picked up a cog from the table and dropped it on the floor- also while attempting to use my ability. Annoyingly, nothing happened.

"Ugh. Okay." I pulled out the battery from the mechanism, and the copper wire that sat inside also. Still racing against the now broken clock, the tape from the art supplies was next. Reeling out the tape, I cut it with only my teeth and held it there. The wire was twisted apart, then connected to either end of the battery. I pulled the tape around it, securing the wires in place. The wires then attached to the quartz.

"Come on..." I gripped my make-shift device, praying to any God there was. Once again, I dropped a cog- and sure enough, it returned to its place.

"Oh fuck..." I sighed happily.

"...What do you think you're doing?" Dread in my heart, I turned around to see none other than Overhaul himself paying me a visit. He'd caught me red-handed.

I turned back to 10 seconds earlier- the most I could manage.

"Ahh..." My head panged with pain, whilst I raced to stuff everything apart from my device haphazardly into the clock, and slam it back onto the wall. I jumped into my seat, right before he came in.

"Hello. I came to see how you're progressing." Overhaul explained as he sat down at the desk.

"Uh... Not great?" I shrugged, not having thought this out quite so well. He sighed, getting back up.

"One more round of injections. Then you'd better hope you develop a quirk." He said, walking out.

'Fuuuuck.'

----

I spent the next few hours sussing out my quirk- discreetly, of course. Measuring how far I've gone by drawing things, pinching myself, etc. All the while battling my thoughts.

'I have a fucking quirk. All that effort- UGH, shut the fuck up.' I shook away my thinking, trying to remain focussed on the task at hand.

From what I'd worked out, I could either turn back myself, and not the environment around me- so turn back to the location and bodily state I was in previously. Or turn back the environment around me by itself, leaving me intact- or both at once. If that all makes sense. I can go forward with immense concentration- but this kills my head, makes my nose gush with blood, I can only do it for a few seconds, and I cannot go forward to a time I have not experienced.