Part 2: Chapter 22.

An unassuming backpack lay tucked away from prying eyes in the closet, filled with the absolute necessities. If you couldn't tell already, I was planning a little staycation in Hosu. That no one could know about. Maybe I was thinking irrationally. Maybe I should give the police the information I had. But then again, this was my responsibility. He was my responsibility, and all those dead people were my fault. I couldn't let him get to U.A. and cause even more destruction, all for the sake of finding me.

I zipped up the bag and hid it behind a pile of clothes at the bottom of the closet, before shutting it away. A knock on the door interrupts my scheming.

"Yeah?" I ask the bored-looking blonde at the door.

"Well, Y/N, you didn't have dinner last night, or the night before, or the night before that so I thought I'd bring you a plate. Maybe you can wash it down with that open bottle of vodka on your nightstand." He said with an odd tone, referring to my home remedy for insomnia. He thrust a plate of sushi toward me.

"Oh, thanks Katsu." I smiled, taking it from him. He stayed lingering at the door. I waited for him to continue, and set the plate on the table.

"...Haven't seen you at lunch either for days, since you go and train. And when you did grace us with your presence at dinner, you just kinda pushed it around." He raised a brow at me, with almost exasperated eyes.

Had it been that long? When was the last time I ate...?

"When's the last time you ate?" Bastard mind reader.

"Breakfast." I responded without missing a beat.

"Huh. That's crazy, since All Might asked me this morning why you stopped having breakfast up here. Asked if you started eating with us instead. Asked if he should mention it to Aizawa-sensei." I squinted slightly.

"Are you...? I've been busy, Katsuki. I've been training to make up for my shocking score on the provisional license exam. Are you seriously going to scrutinise my every move?" I suddenly felt guilty for lashing out. His expression contorted.

But I couldn't have any of them catching on. I just... had a reduced appetite. I kinda forgot to eat, and when I did remember, I just didn't feel like it, so I didn't bother. Besides- time spent eating a full meal was time I could have been training. Anyways, I'd gone far, far longer without eating in the past, before I got kicked out. Don't get me wrong, I still had snacks every now and again.

"Of course I am. Because I know you. So... I... care." He said that last word with much agony.

"Why do you care so much, Katsuki? Why can't you stop worrying about me and focus on yourself? Why do you waste your time on me like this? Why do you care so much?" I questioned scathingly. He seemed almost angry. He let out a dry chuckle.

"Isn't it glaringly fucking obvious?! Because, I-!" He stopped abruptly, simply staring at me, mouth a little agape, eyes wide. A slightly sad expression now. We held an increasingly intense eye contact. He kept looking at me deeply, almost hoping he could tell me everything he wanted to say using his eyes.

Oh.

"Katsuki, I-"

"Because, I- you-" He interrupted, desperately trying to find the words. His face finally fell in defeat.

Ohhhhh.

Looking back, perhaps it was glaringly obvious.

"Because we're supposed to be... best friends. That's why. I won't apologise for giving a shit about you. Push me away all you want, I'll still be here. I just thought you'd at least talk to me." I glanced at him with sympathy.