Chapter 21

Drisana found Nakul sitting on the Palace garden alone. She went near and sat beside him silently. She knew he was upset about Arjun's exile. All of them were. Dinner was a mostly silent affair with Arjun's slightly successful attempt to make the environment lighter. Mata Kunti requested him to stay till Deepavali. She had wished to celebrate this time with all her sons together and Arjun relented finally.

"Nirmay, don't keep sulking. He's not going to go forever. It's just one year. He will return soon." Drisana said.

"I know. It's just---. Was it really necessary?" Nakul muttered sadly.

"Well, Mata Kunti repeatedly tried to convince him, so did bhrata Yudhisthir. But your brother is a hard-headed one." Drisana said with a sigh.

She was mostly irritated with Arjun. They were forbidden to raise weapons for Devika and her baby's safety at the first place; and Arjun broke the pact to safeguard them only. Still he insisted on going to self-exile for keeping his mother's word. And she knew any of Mata Kunti's sons in Arjun's place would have done the same. Even Nakul too.

Sometimes she felt adoration and respect for the bond they shared. But sometimes she felt plain out annoyance. Thank God Mata Kunti was a woman of few words or else! She wondered if her own child in future would be like Pandavs. The thought was both endowing and terrifying. She shook her head to get rid of the thought.

"I'm mostly feeling bad for Draupadi jiji. They are expecting and at this time, bhrata Arjun won't be with her. He will miss the birth of their first child." Drisana said again in dejection and kept her head on Nakul's shoulder.

"Yes. But nothing can be done. We can just make sure to take care of bhabhishree Draupadi properly in his absence." Nakul replied releasing a long sigh and kissed the top of Drisana's head.

Valandhara came inside her chamber only to find Bheem standing on the balcony staring at nothingness. She kept the large bowl of Kheer she had made on a low table and went near him. After standing at his back silently for a few moments, she suddenly gasped and started shouting.

"Oh my God!!! My eyes!!! My eyes!!! I can't see anything. Arya, look what happened to my eyes!!!"

"What happened, Kashika (coming or belonging from the city of Kashi/ the Shiny one)? What's wrong with your eyes?" Bheem asked hurriedly in concern grasping her shoulders.

"I can't see the stars you're looking at." Valandhara said making a crying face.

"There is no stars in sky tonight." Bheem stated with thin lips.

"Then what are you staring at?" Valandhara asked looking contemplative. Bheem gave her a look and turned back to stare at the blackness of the night.

Valandhara smiled to herself. This big bad bhaloo (bear) was just like a coconut. Hard on the surface, but soft to the core. In the following days of their marriage, they had continued their sweet and sour bantering. Bheem never expressed his feelings, nor she acted like she had said anything at her swayambar. They never talked about that day or their marriage specifically.

She controlled her laugh remembering the first gift after their marriage. Bheem had gifted her a watermelon. The first gift from her husband was a watermelon! Well, if it was anyone in her place, they would be angry and mad at him. But Valandhara thought it was adorable and unique. Now she would always remember the gift and it would always remain with her.

In these days she had observed him and found unique layers on the man himself. Bheem meant formidable and this man lived by his name. But behind this intimidating and ignorant personality, there was a gentleness that fuelled his actions.