Chapter 44

Ghatotkach landed in the golden palace of Pragjyotisha. Bheem had offered to come instead, but Ghatotkach declined saying he had a special motive behind going there.

There were many attendants fulfilling their duties in the garden. He approached one of them and asked, "Where is the daughter of Mura? I wish to see her."

The Dasi looked at Ghatotkach from head to toe. A slow smile appeared on her face.

"I advise you not to challenge her. She has killed millions. Stay with me, I will give you all you want." The dasi said seductively.

"I cannot accept your offer. Either I will win the hand of your mistress in marriage, or I will be killed by her in battle. Please go and inform her of my arrival." Ghatotkacha gently requested.

"Fine, if you're so eager to die." The dasi commented and left to inform her mistress.

Kamakantaka, was the daughter of Daitya Mura, thus known as Mauravi also. In the war with Vasudev Krishna, Mura was killed while allying with Narakasura. At first in rage, Kamakantaka had attacked Krishna. The fight went on for three days before Krishna decided to use Sudarshan Chakra. But he was stopped by Goddess Kamakhya who told him Kamakantaka was in her protection and she made Kamakantaka understand that her father's death was inevitable. Since then Kamakantaka had been living in Pragjyotisha with Narakasura's son Bhagadatta.

Kamakantaka was a princess of great alluring beauty which attracted many suitors seeking her hand in marriage. But she had set a very deadly condition for her marriage. That she would only marry the man who would defeat her through intelligence and battle. Many Rakshasas and Asuras had approached her, but all were defeated and slain by her. Ghatotkach hearing of her valour, had decided to defeat and win her already when Pandavs called him.

"So, you're the new one who has gotten disappointed with life and has come here to die?" A melodious voice asked from behind as Ghatotkach was busy in observing his surroundings. He turned around to find a beautiful young maiden before him. She slowly moved towards him and came to stand in front of Ghatotkach while observing him with her watchful gaze.

"You've come for the first time in Pragjyotisha. Take rest for a day or two. Enjoy the hospitality of Pragjyotisha a little before dying. Pragjyotisha is famous for its hospitality to its visitors." Kamakantaka said with a smirk.

"Really? Then I would love to enjoy the hospitality. But not as a visitor but as the son-in-law of Pragjyotisha." Ghatotkach replied with an amused smile. Kamakantaka's mouth tightened hearing him.

"Were you born with pride and ego attached?" She asked.

"Rakshasa Rani Hidimba ka putra hu. Sourya aur sahas leke janma hu. (I am the son of Rakshasa Rani Hidimba. I have born with valour and bravery intact.)" Ghatotkach replied. "So tell, which test will you want to take first? Of intelligence or strength?"

"Let's take the test of brain first. Because without brain, strength becomes a wastage." Kamakantaka said resuming her smirk. "Ask me such a question which baffles me and I can't give an answer to it."

Ghatotkach thought for some moments and then started to tell a tale.

"Once there was a father-son pair who lived alone after the death of the mother. The son came of age to get married. But instead of getting his son married, the father got married to a girl of his son's age. In anger, the son married the widowed mother of that girl. Now, the father became his own son's son-in-law and the son became his father's father-in-law. The son's new mother was his daughter and the father's daughter-in-law was his mother-in-law too. Now what should the father call his daughter-in-law and what should the new mother of the son should be called by him? Putri or Mata?"