Chapter 27

The royal family of Panchal stood at the entrance to welcome Maharaj Drishadvat and his family. Shikhandini stood behind as Maharaj Drupad welcomed his friend.

Yes. Surprisingly Maharaj Drishadvat had once befriended Maharaj Drupad. That was long before p became the King of Panchal and turned into a spiteful arrogant man. He was the boy who saved the life of a stranger and befriended him, unknown to the fact that his new friend was the Yuvraj of Dravida. Over the years, the distance grew and both the boys turned into powerful Kings. Maharaj Drishadvat being aware of how Drupad had turned to be, maintained a friendly distance, enough not to insult him, but also enough as not to get into each other's business. That's why none of his sons were present at the Yagyaseni's swayambar. The only thing received from Dravida were a generous amount of gifts, an apology letter and their best wishes.

Maharaj Drishadvat had no intention of making an alliance with Panchal. His sons weren't purebred stallions to get planned mattings for benefits. He had seen many a weak Kings to marry several times in the vain attempt of getting power and wealth. But he believed in prowess and competence. No number of marriages was going to help if one did not have those to successfully rule or conquer Kingdoms. Therefore, he had made sure to raise his sons to have those qualities, so they could choose carefully to avoid an unwanted relation. After all, they were Suryavanshi, the descendants of Lord Rama, the Maryada Purushottama.

But today here he was, standing at Panchal. Maharaj Drupad might think it was because of the favour he did at him. However, it was his son who brought him really. After Dridhaksh said yes for the proposal, Maharaj Drishadvat had taken him aside to make sure, he wasn't saying it simply to honour him and make his mother happy. He had grilled him until he became sure Dridhaksh already met Rajkumari Shikhandini and liked her. He was certain Dridhaksh was hiding something else too, but let it rest for now.

Shikhandini came to greet them at last. She was nervous from inside. She had heard about the Maharaj and Maharani of Dravida a lot. From outsiders and from Rajkumar Dridhaksh too. He spoke of his parents fondly and held them in high regards. Their influential personality wasn't helping with her nervousness too.

"Parnipat." She greeted and bent over to touch their feet.

"Kalyan ho. (Bless you.)" Maharaj Drishadvat blessed her in his brooding voice.

"Kalyan ho, Putri." Maharani Mangalya blessed her with a soft smile. "Maine suna tha ki tum sahasi ho, veerangana ho. Parantu kisine mujhe yeh nehi bataya, ki tum itni pyaari aur prakitisth bhi ho. (I heard that you are brave, a warrior woman. But no one told me you're so lovely and natural too.)"

Shikhandini was surprised with her compliment. She tried to decipher if there was any underlined sarcasm or mocking in it. But the Queen seemed to be genuine. That helped in easing her nerves a bit. She acknowledged her by returning a slight smile with a nod.

They were led inside to rest then as Dhristadhymn remained behind to wait for the three Princes

They were led inside to rest then as Dhristadhymn remained behind to wait for the three Princes. They arrived much more time later. Dhristadhymn welcomed them. His wife, Yuvrani Vindumati did the rituals to welcome Rajkumar Dridhaksh.