Chapter 50

In Madra:

Madra Naresh, Maharaj Dyutimata was standing at the entrance of his Palace to welcome the King of Indraprasth. But the slight narrowing eyes and tightened mouth of his told Yudhisthir that he wasn't pleased to see him here. Not that he expected anything else.

"Parnipat Maharaj." Yudhisthir greeted first folding his hands.

"Parnipat. Welcome to Madra, Maharaj Yudhisthir." Maharaj Dyutimata greeted back. "But if you had considered coming before the swayambar of my daughter, I would have been more pleased."

"I could not come, but I sent my best wishes for you and your daughter. Through my best man." Yudhisthir replied with a slight smile. Maharaj Dyutimata's face hardened at this.

"Madra is very hospitable to its guests. Contrasting to our hostility to our enemies. Now it depends on the on-comers how they want to be treated. Either as a friend or enemy." Maharaj Dyutimata said keeping his voice neutral.

"Indraprasth only wants peace Maharaj. And Madra has a special place in our hearts. Our Kanistha Mata belonged to this land. We will never want to be an enemy of you." Yudhisthir replied calmly.

Maharaj Dyutimata nodded and then escorted him inside with only a few of his most trusted companions. They reached in a private meeting chamber. There was no reason for Maharaj Dyutimata to not understand the motive behind Yudhisthir's sudden arrival. The moment he heard Maharaj Yudhisthir was asking permission to enter Madra, he had understood that the Pandavagrajah had come for his brother only.

"I believe I do not need to explain the reason of coming here." Yudhisthir addressed the issue as soon as they were seated. "I would like to meet my brother first."

"Since you're here, you must know that your brother is now a prisoner of Madra?" Maharaj Dyutimata asked narrowing his eyes at him. "But do you know what that brother of yours has done?"

"If he has done anything wrong, I will not stop you from punishing him. But I want to meet him first. I want to know if he has done anything inappropriate at all or not." Yudhisthir replied.

Maharaj Dyutimata stared at him for a while, gritting his jaw. But then called the guards and ordered the commander in chief to present their special prisoner there, right in front of them.

Yudhisthir waited patiently in silence as Sahdev was finally brought in the chamber. He looked onwards to find his ankles, wrists and neck fastened with ropes. Yudhisthir's eyes lingered on the bonds for a few moments longer before he met Sahdev's eyes. Sahdev wore a blank expression betraying no emotion and stared at him calmly.

After staring at him for a long moment, Yudhisthir stood from his position and faced Maharaj Dyutimata.

"Sahdev has done nothing wrong. So, I request you to free him and investigate the matter more." He said evenly.

"You don't even know what he has done. And you declared your brother free of all charge! Is this the righteousness you're known for?" Maharaj Dyutimata asked stiffly.

"Mujhe kisi sapstikaran ki aabasakta nehi Maharaj. Janm se Sahdev mera bhai hai. Kintu sneh usse main putra saman karta hu. Maine aapse kaha tha, ki yeadhi usne kuch bhi anucit kiya hoga, toh main aapko usse dandit karne se nehi rokhunga. Parantu iska yeh aarth nehi ki mujhe aapne bhai par lesh matra bhi sandeh tha. Sahdev par lagaye gaye aarop asattya hai, yeh mujhe gyat hai. Jab maine kaha, mujhe janna hai ki kya usne kuch aanucit kiya hai, toh iska tatparya yeh tha, ki mujhe janna hai, kya Sahdev ne jane anjana mei aisa kuch bhi kiya hai, jiske karan iss mitthya sambhavati ki utpatti huyi.

(I do not need any explanation Maharaj. Sahdev is my brother by birth. But I love him like a son. I told you if he has done anything wrong, I will not stop you from punishing him. That did not mean that I had even an ounce of doubt that the charges on him are false. When I said, I want to know if he has done anything inappropriate that meant I wanted to know from him, if he, at all, has done something knowingly or unknowingly which led to this misunderstanding."
Yudhisthir glanced at Sahdev for a moment before adding,