Chapter 26; Dancing, Crying and Bleeding

There's no one here, I shouldn't be so terrified of this basement. I walk up to the next room.

When I look through the window I discover that this room is also full of paintings, the only difference is that in the middle of the room, with a base under it, a ballerina has been exhibited. Her hands try to touch the sky and her feet are covered in spitzen. The small figurine is made of only one material; diamond. It's so beautiful, my eyes are drawn to it for minutes and minutes. The light above the ballerina makes the diamond of her body sparkle. How much money that would only have cost...

Dorothea must be very, very rich. She has so much art, such a huge house and so much expensive things in this house.

I walk a bit faster looking through the other rooms, because I didn't come here to look at art for hours long. Suddenly after looking quickly through four other rooms, in the fifth, my attention is drawn to a large painting hanging in the middle of a wall. Beautifully painted in black and white is a young boy visible on the canvas, smiling brightly. His face looks very familiar to me. He is so beautiful, so fucking beautiful. The energy that comes off the painting wants to pull me closer and my hands surround the small window in the door while I put my head closer to look into his eyes.

I know who he is.

As if I'm hypnotised I open the door, walk towards the painting and go with my fingertips over the paint. I know that I shouldn't touch paintings, but there's nothing I want to do more now.

But the touch wasn't to my satisfaction. It's paint... hard, dried up and textured paint. Not soft like his skin.

A tear drips down my face. Fuck this. I wipe it away, angry at myself. I always do everything in the wrong way and it's all my own fault.

I look down, trying to find a signature on the painting, trying to find traces of why this is here. It's strange and it feels good at the same time. Suddenly I realise that under the painting, on the wall, parallel with the width of the painting two lines are visible. Why are those there? I trace them with my finger. They aren't lines, they are in fact openings in the wall.

My heart skips a beat and I stop breathing, sweat sticking to my skin. This isn't what I think it is, right? I slowly put a corner of the painting up to look beneath it.

Fuck.

A blinking doorknob looks at me. I slowly put my hand around it, feeling the coldness of metal. Then slowly I pull on the doorknob, and... it works.

What would be behind this door? More art? Some illegal business? Corpses? Someone waiting to kill me?

But there is none of all that. It's just another hall, with five doors on both the sides.

I slowly walk into the hall. The light here isn't as bright as the hall I came from. Suddenly I feel very frightened... as if there are eyes everywhere around me. I feel the pain of being left alone, of killing an innocent boy. I will never be able to go back and redo it.

I can only cover up and hope no one will find out.

Doors, I've walked past them drowned in thoughts. I walk back and look through the first window. There is no light inside this room, so I can't see shit. There must be nothing here, I walk further, inspect other rooms, and find a very full room behind the last door. This is what I need, there is a big closet and the rest of it is full of random stuff. 

I turn around, walk outside the door, walk through the hall, I walk harder and harder, at the last hall my walking becomes running, and I run over the stairs to ground floor, panting.

The boy still lies there, the color of his pink cheeks totally gone, his eyes that looked so beautiful, look horrible now,  his hands that don't bear color anymore, his naked body...  that looks bruised, stained with blood and cuts.

I need to put his clothes on, he can't be found naked like that.

-

I carried the boy downstairs, and now I'm standing for the room where I'm going to leave him behind. He isn't very heavy but when you have to walk down stairs and carry him for a long time, he gets heavy. I push the door open and walk towards the closet, tired of thinking, tired of carrying and tired of myself.

I put him on the ground to open the door. Fortunately there is nothing inside, I'm lucky as fuck.

But everything around me feels like a ticking time bomb and it's driving me insane. First I need to leave him here and then I'll think about what to do next. I lift the small boy from the ground and put him on the wooden floor of the closet, making him sit nicely, even though his head falls down every time I try to put it in another position.

'I'm sorry', I wisper, not knowing what else to do. I want to pray to a god but I don't believe in one. Just may some good creature have his soul please. I hope he had a nice life, and that he will forget the last hours of it. I close the doors.

I don't even know his name.

I stand there a few minutes, just frozen with my eyes closed, honoring him. 'I'm sorry', I say one last time, going with my hand over the material of the closet.

Just when I wanted to turn around and go upstairs again, away from this creepy basement something catches my eye.

Another door.

Next to the closet I used as coffin is a door, almost not visible because its looks the same as the walls without a doorknob. I push against it, and to my suprise it gives in.

Darkness greets me. I step into the hall and immediately when I let the door go it closes behind me. It's only darkness around me and it's making me paranoid, I try to open the door again but it doesn't work. I only feel a keyhole. 

I don't have a key so I'm trapped here.

The only thing I can do is walk. Walk towards what? I don't know...

My legs automatically take steps, take me further into the darkness. It's dead silence here, the only thing I can hear is my own footsteps. Soft and enigmatic as if they want to tell me something... to stay away maybe.

Ouch, that hurt. I walked into something. Suddenly I realise that my feet are lighting up. I look to the left side and see a small lamp hanging above a door. Oh, I walked into the wall.

Chuckling I step towards the door, but I quickly stop when I look at the ground underneath me. Four tiny red drops color the grey ground. What is that?

I don't know why I am even asking myself, because I immediately knew; it's blood.

Whom's blood would that be? Why is it down here? How long lies it here already? Years? Days? Hours? Minutes? Seconds?

It really is there, I'm not imagining it.

Not knowing what to expect I put the handle down and hear a squeaking sound. The door feels heavy when I push against it.

Another door becomes visible, light shining brightly on it. The door is made of metal, except the middle part.

Because in the middle it's made glass. And when I look through it, I wish I never went to this house...

☠☠☠

Quote Of This Chapter:

"Doors, I've walked past them drowned in thoughts."

-

A/N Pls vote and comment, tomorrow new chapter 🖤