Epilogue

Lisa's POV

Some says that when someone dies, they become a star at night, watching over their mortal loved ones on earth.

For me, it made no sense as there is no scientific explanation behind the said belief.

However, I never envisioned that a day would come where I'd be a believer of it. Only, it had to be a tragedy for many just so the evidence would be provided, which is extremely devastating.

Howls of laments were the only thing that coated that sorrowful night, aside from the cries of pain and agony. Other packs had join in as well in condolence.

When wolves howl, they have their faces fully tilted upwards. And at the point, all I saw were bright twinkling stars scattered at the ink tinted sky. It was unusually plenty, despite the gloomy and dead atmosphere that has lingered long after the war has come to an end.

That night, all I felt was excruciating pain.

Both mentally and physically.

"I love you, my Lili. Always and forever"

It was a message full of sincerity, spoken at the given moment of life before death.

I felt like crying when I heard her speak through the mind link for the very first time. And my mind has been tormenting me for not replying sooner.

Because after that, I felt the pain of her impact. Followed by the feeling of being lost and hollow— my other half slowly drifting apart.

My heart shattered into pieces, and I wailed vigorously.

It wasn't until I reach the ground in my human form, barefooted, drained and limping. I took sight of what was left of our surroundings. It was then I realized that the war had really come to an end. The monster who had brought us pain and misery is permanently gone in this world, has finally meet death, and surely burning in hell along with his men.

Many had died, and those who survived were either injured or at the brink of death. And some who still had the strength and energy in them had gathered the bodies and mourned for them.

I continued walking and had found Jisoo, Chaeyoung, and the other four huddled in a circle, mourning and crying. And as they notice my presence, they had then moved aside for me to see, sending me woeful looks.

With shaky breath, I drop to my quivering knees, feeling every ounce of my energy slipping away.

The sight had rubbed reality in my face, and I couldn't even cease my mind from tormenting myself over and over again. It was my job to protect her— a promise that I had made ever since we were young. And yet, I failed her and broke my promise when she did not.

Due to my incompetence, I lost a part of me.

It was the truth that I have to accept.

I grieved, crying my eyes out for the whole night with the body of my mother beside me and Jennie on my lap. Her face was pale, heart beating no more, and her body gone cold. Yet, I refused to let her go. I stayed with her on the grass, hugging her form as I whisper my prayers to the moon goddess for her to wake up.

She did not.

Sunrise came and those who have evacuated had arrived.

Much to their shock, the sight of the survivors grieving, blood and corpses greeted them.

Ella came running with Irene and Seulgi. Bending down almost immediately to embrace her eomma, calling for her again and again to stop 'sleeping'.

In terms of that tragedy, we may have fell to our feet, and cried at the pain of the wounds and scars caused by our second fall. But at the very end of the day, we again stood, endured, and continued running at a race called 'life'. Ready to face its upcoming obstacles and once again willing to fall, and rise back up, repeat the endless cycle until our very last breath.

ㅡ The End ㅡ

*Smiles nervously* Please don't kill me! 

But...

Do you think happy endings are overrated or not? Let me know your preferences.

Maybe.... just maybe, I might or might not make a happy ending for ya'll.