28

Bruce's Pov

"Goodnight. Dad." Hilary whispered as a response and yawned. Completely drifting to sleep. I was taken aback by what she muttered. I brushed her cheek with the back of my hand and felt the freshly dried tears. She must've gone through a lot with her aunt to even reach this point. Which had me thinking if she's had those episodes when her adoptive parents were alive or after their death.

After putting Harley in Arkham, Jason and I argued the whole way back to the cave. He wanted to go after them and so I just let him. He's been updating me about their state since I went back to the cave to further investigate what had happened. Surely this whole thing was a distraction. One after another.

I wasn't properly thinking when I asked them to join for patrol. I didn't know why, but I thought they'd like to join. I should've considered their mental state. I should've known, if not one, but maybe two or the three of them had been wearing a facade. If it wasn't for Cass breaking the tension between me and Jason, I think I would've lost him again.

*Flashback*

"What was her last words before she left?" Cassandra asked removing her mask.

"She said she'd didn't want to be the cause of our argument." I replied removing my cowl.

"Everything's your fault Bruce, i could go on-" "Listen here jay, what happened already happened, we can't change things that has already been done. What we can do is try to be better. You think if Hil was here she'd like to see the two of you blaming if not each other, yourselves?" She stated cutting him off as she shoved her finger pointing at Jason's chest before furiously looking at the both of us. "I have to agree with Cain here" Damian chimed in.

Jason scoffed and went towards his motorcycle. "I'm going after them. I won't intervene, just need to make sure they're safe." He started revving his engine and rushed off the cave's exit.

"If they want to continue, will you let them? From my observation Nanu is fearless out of the three of them." Cass stated taking a water bottle. "If they want to, I'll let them. Being extra careful this time, making sure none of the dangerous villains gets them. Dangerous being one they can't handle. Especially the Joker" i replied facing the batcomputer and started typing down reports.

*End off flashback*

I'll have to talk to them about this. If they want to continue going out on patrol or not. I do see potential in them. I believe they can do this. But I also don't want to risk having them in danger but at the same time I don't want them becoming distant from me just because I want them to be safe. I won't the same mistake. My only hope is that they'll willingly say they don't want to do this anymore. Not just for them but for all of my kids. I even asked spoiler to give up the mantle. I just don't want them hurt.

I didn't even realize that I've been in here for almost an hour, brushing my fingers through her hair. I slowly got up and walked out of her room closing the door behind me. I went to the kitchen island to make myself coffee since Alfred is asleep at this time. I saw Nanu sipping a cup of tea, sitting on the island. She looked up and turned to face me. "Hey Brucie" she smiled. I went towards the coffeemaker and sat a mug beneath it pouring coffee. I took it out and sat beside her setting the mug on the counter.

"What are you doing up so late?"

"I could ask the same thing"

"I was busy calming your friend down"

She almost chocked while drinking her tea with what I said. "Is she okay?" She coughingly stated.

"She had a panic attack but she's fine now." She let out a deep sigh of relief.