The Training

I stare at Ivan, waiting for his response

I stare at Ivan, waiting for his response. Instead, he leans in his seat and slams his face. "I don't know what to do," he mumbles to himself.

"How long am I supposed to stay away from you?"

"Weeks, maybe months. I really don't know." He sits up right. His phone beeps and he picks it up. "Do you have to go to Tucker?"

"Yes," I say.

"Can it wait? I'm meeting someone."

"Sure," I force out a smile. Ivan starts the drive and I sit there, staring at him. "We were better off as friends," I sigh. Maybe I messed this up.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"Myra is lucky to have you."

"Can you stop?" He questions and I nod my head. I know he hates to talk about it. It's just fun for me, seeing his reactions. He drives in silence, stops the car in front of a duplex and sighs. "I'll be back soon. Don't come out." I nod. Why is this familiar? Ivan steps out of the car and I watch him go into the house. I take the seatbelt off and lean on the seat.

Some minutes go by, he steps out of the house with a middle-aged woman and he's nodding his head to whatever she's saying. I sit up and look at the woman. She looks familiar. Where have I seen her before?

Oh! That is the Mayor's wife.

I remember seeing her pictures after her husband died. What is going on here? Ivan was at the Mayor's house the other day. Did she hire him to kill her husband? What the fuck am I thinking?! I watch her pat on Ivan's shoulder with smiles and he bows his head to her shortly. Ivan starts to walk away and the woman brings out a lighter from her dress to lit her cigarette.

Ivan gets in the car and he clenches his hands on the steering wheel again. He is grunting and gritting his teeth. "Are you okay, Roy?" He nods his head and drives away. Throughout the drive, he's been running his fingers in his hair, mumbling cuss words and slamming his face. "Does she want you to do something stupid?" I ask the question I've been meaning to ask and he looks at me.

"What do you know?"

"Isn't she the Mayor's wife?" I bite my lips, knowing he's going to steam on me again. "Is she?"

"Yeah," he sighs. "She is."

"Did she... uh..."

"Kara, don't push for more. It's better if you don't know what's going on."

"I think I do. I know people are saying she murdered her husband. And we were at the Mayor's house a few weeks ago. I'm not that stupid."

"What are you trying to say, Kara?"

I exhale. "What I'm trying to say is, I'll understand if she hired you to do it." Ivan chuckles. "Am I wrong?"

"You're smart, but you're wrong about this. I'm not hired to kill, Kara." So then, what are you, Ivan? "He was already dead when I got there."