Mere Acquaintance

I always say I have a good heart and soul

I always say I have a good heart and soul. It's hard to say no to people and that backlash hurts me. Even in my anger, I make the eggs, two like he requested and dish them nicely. I sent Myra's breakfast to her and walked back to the kitchen to get Ivan's eggs and oatmeal. I sigh at every step and it pisses me off that he smelled my underwear. It is Myra's fault.

I knock on Ivan's door and he opens up immediately. "Were you waiting by the door for me?" I ask and he paves the way for me to enter. "Can't you get it yourself?"

"Can't you serve it yourself?" I eye at him and walk into the room. The room looks better than it used to be. I place the tray on the study desk and look around curiously for anything suspicious.

The room smells more of him, the mild cologne I smelled in the car and the same smell on him in the kitchen. His bed is laid with four pillows, a laptop on it and books on the floor. I turn to him and he has his eyes on me. I clear my throat and move away from the study desk.

"Are you not going to eat? It'll get cold."

"Look at you acting like my mom already." He makes fun of me again. "Come here and taste it before I eat it." Why the heck does this sound sexual in my ears?!

I halt him right there. "Taste what and eat what?"

Ivan points to the food. He has his mouth closed, stifling a laugh at the stupid statement I just made. "Are you always this clueless?"

I answer. "With you, yes."

He nods. "I am an open book, Kara."

"I don't think so," I tell the truth and he nods again. I walk around in the room, still looking around. "Do you know you make people uncomfortable?"

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" He walks to the bed and picks up his books from the floor.

"A little. I want to get to know you... if you can."

Ivan shakes his head, runs a finger through his thick hair and looks at me while holding a book. "You will wish you didn't."

"Is that a threat?" He puts the book on the bed and walks towards me. I move away from him before he gets close to me. "I have a feeling you're one of these funny guys; the ones that laugh a lot and when they start, they don't stop."

"Really?" He chuckles.

"Eat first,"

"You really have to taste it before I eat it. I don't trust people."