38 - Unconvinced

Bakugo's POV:

I sat there with him for what felt like forever, but I didn't mind.

I want to talk to him about everything that happened...

But...

I looked over at him, his face pale and empty. Emotionally drained.

I think he needs a break...

An hour or so passed. He was mostly calm at this point, but still exhausted. Regardless, I stayed where I was. I tried to be comforting, even though it's not exactly my strong suit.

"Bakugo."

"Hm?"

"Why am I here?" He muttered, almost inaudibly.

"You... You don't remember?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"No..... I...... I don't remember anything..... I'm sorry......"

"Don't apologize, idiot." I sighed. "Truth is I'm not sure. I was going to ask you that."

"What do you mean?"

"Well you woke up in the middle of the night to take some painkillers for a headache. I told you to only take one and you said okay, so I went back to bed. I woke up and..... I....." My voice became slightly weaker. I cleared my throat. "I couldn't wake you up..... So I brought you to the hospital."

He looked down, without saying a single word.

"They said that you took some form of opioid, so like a prescription drug, and then another substance they're not really sure of."

"Oh."

"Yeah....oh....."

I sighed and put my head down a bit.

"Why?" He asked quietly. I looked up.

"What do you mean?"

"Why did I do that...." He practically whispered, covering his face with his hands. I wrapped my arm around him and rubbed the side of his arm, trying to be as comforting as I could.

"I'm sorry..." I muttered. He lifted his head up a bit.

"Why are you sorry?"

"I.... I wasn't there....." My words became shaky and I wiped my eyes, refusing to let a single tear fall. "I wasn't there for you when you needed me...... I'm sorry" I sighed, "I wish I was better at this...."

"You don't have anything to be sorry for. I'm here because of my actions. Not yours."

"Tch. Whatever. I still could've helped."

"Bringing me to the hospital doesn't qualify as helping?"

I shrugged.

"You're too hard on yourself."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"How so?"

"It's less of an obvious trait and more of an underlying issue."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"No matter what you do or how hard you try you just...." He sighed sadly. "You never feel like it's good enough."

"Tch. Whatever." I muttered.

Todoroki's POV:

Bakugo muttered something and looked down at the ground.