CH: 55 "You can get out"

(Bernard POV)

Duke and Jelly bean were sitting in front of the table, waiting for breakfast to be made. I was the one who decided to make breakfast for us. I've been playing around with food recipes that Jelly Bean could eat, and I found one that she likes to eat in the morning, so I was making that for her while I also work on Duke and I breakfast.

A knock came from the front door; I could see a confused look on Duke's face, we weren't expecting anyone this morning, but that doesn't mean no one can drop by.

I stopped doing what I was doing to answer the door, but Luke told me that he could do it.

Still, I found myself following him to at least see who it was knocking.

Jelly Bean was still sitting in the dining area, on her baby seat, not even paying attention to us as she played with her dolls.

I watched Duke open the door, and in front of us was a woman who looked unstable and jittery.

"Can we help you?" Duke asked the woman in front of us; she stared at Duke and spoke.

"I was wondering how Kameron was doing." The woman asked.

I saw Duke's body went still.

It was as if time stopped for a moment.

"What.... What happened to you?" Duke asked the woman in front of him.

"You remembered me? I didn't think that you would since you've slept with a lot of people and all." The woman said, causing Duke to flinch from the impact of her words.

"I barely remember you, and even any memory I have you, I'm sure you didn't look like that," Duke said, looking the woman up and down, who was now scratching her arms.

"How is she doing?" The woman asked.

"She's doing fine," I answered the woman.

She turned her attention to me and nodded her head.

"Good, very good. I'm glad. She's living a good life." The woman said; a relief look came across her face, but she quickly got rid of it as she looked at her bruised arm.

"What are you even on? It's obvious that you're on drugs." Duke said; his tone of voice took me off guard when I looked at him. I saw that Duke was angry.

"Can I see her?" The woman asked, avoiding Duke's question.

"No," Duke said.

"You gave up your rights, so you have no right to see her, especially in the state that you happen to be in," Duke said.

A grimace was seen on his face as he stared at her.

"I just want to see her; I'm not going to do anything. I promise. I just want to see how's she doing and just to see how happy she is. That's all." The woman said softly.

Before Duke could say anything else, I spoke to him.

"We could just bring her out to see her; she won't touch her, but just see her. Is that okay with you? If it is, I could go get her." I said to Duke, who turned his head to stare at me.

He looked like he was thinking about what to say but gave me a nod.

"You can get her; I'll wait right here," Duke said.

I turned around and headed towards Jelly Bean; she was still playing with her Doll on the high baby chair, no idea of what was going on or care in the world. I took her out of her seat.